Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > General

General General Discussions.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:48 PM   #21
JillGat

Send a message via AIM to JillGat
Default Re: I'm going to miss you all

Here I am about seven years later with a "new" 2006 599! The Tiger was beautiful on the highway, but not great in dirt. Too top heavy (and I couldn't lift it when I dropped it in deep sand). So I went from there to a 2006 Kawasaki 250 dirt bike that was So Much Fun. Explored all the remote corners of New Mexico on that thing. I could lift it by the handlebars when I dropped it. Visited Indian ruins that you can't get to even with a 4WD vehicle. It wasn't bad on the highway either.. did 70 mph fine (as long as the hills weren't too steep).

My Kawasaki got stolen off my driveway a few weeks ago. I had comprehensive insurance, so Progressive paid me the value of the bike, plus the current value of the after market, extra large gas tank, the custom seat, my side bags. I am so impressed with Progressive! I got a check two weeks later.

Enough to buy another 599. I got it in Denver and rode it back to Albuquerque. It has a ridiculously loud and powerful TwoBrothers exhaust pipe. Got a sound suppressor for that and a windscreen and now I am good to go.

Where is everybody? I don't see all the regulars who used to be here.
JillGat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #22
LeatherWings

Congrats on the "new" 599!

I think things may have just run their course here on the site. No new 599 models, and many people have moved on from it to other bikes and whatnot. This is my first post in years, lol. I still ride my 919, but don't have much time for joy rides these days. So my moto enthusiasm and "way-of-life" has waned a little. But glad to see that there are some keeping this site alive!

BARBARIANS AT THE GATE
batgband.com
facebook.com/batgband
LeatherWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #23
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherWings View Post
Congrats on the "new" 599!

I think things may have just run their course here on the site. No new 599 models, and many people have moved on from it to other bikes and whatnot. This is my first post in years, lol. I still ride my 919, but don't have much time for joy rides these days. So my moto enthusiasm and "way-of-life" has waned a little. But glad to see that there are some keeping this site alive!
I'm going to count the CB650F and CB1000R as Hornets. Right now I could go for either one.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #24
LeatherWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I'm going to count the CB650F and CB1000R as Hornets. Right now I could go for either one.
I totally want to get the 2019 CB300R!!!

The new 2018 CB1000R looks pretty badass, but ultimately I think it's larger of a bike than I really want. The new CB300R only weighs 313 lbs ready to ride! Perfect urban bike! I do hope tho that they give the 650F the "Neo Sports Cafe" treatment that they did with the CB300R and CB1000R

BARBARIANS AT THE GATE
batgband.com
facebook.com/batgband

Last edited by LeatherWings; 10-09-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #25
JHenley17

Send a message via AIM to JHenley17

I’m really interested in the CB1000. When my wife was showing some interest in learning to ride, I was strongly considering picking up the 1000 and 300. With the XSR900 and Indian FTR1200 also available, though, the choice gets a little harder for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitos_92 View Post
Dude. You could say your mom has a dismal power/weight ratio, but I ride her year-round, too.
JHenley17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #26
LeatherWings

CB1000R does look real badass tho... and 467lbs wet... I guess that's still almost 20 lbs lighter than a stock 919...

I think I just don't like the high seat on this... too tall for my short inseam :/

BARBARIANS AT THE GATE
batgband.com
facebook.com/batgband
Old 10-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #27
Sundog

I poke my head once every few weeks to see if there are questions to answer. This place doesn't have the full crew of commenters anymore, but it's still a deep resource for anyone willing to take the time to search through old threads. I try to be a bit of a librarian and point people to the right threads when I recognize something the group has solved in the past.
Sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #28
Joelittel

It’s probably only a matter of time before the next generation of riders discovers the 599 and we see an influx of new members and posts. In my opinion the 599 will soon fall into that “first real bike” category for the next generation.

Incidentally my first “real bike” was a 1976 CB 550 Four.
Joelittel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #29
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherWings View Post
I totally want to get the 2019 CB300R!!!

The new 2018 CB1000R looks pretty badass, but ultimately I think it's larger of a bike than I really want. The new CB300R only weighs 313 lbs ready to ride! Perfect urban bike! I do hope tho that they give the 650F the "Neo Sports Cafe" treatment that they did with the CB300R and CB1000R
I heard they will show off the new 650 in November.

There's a lot to love about a bike so light you can bench press it. If I didn't have an all freeway commute I'd be looking hard at the 300.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #30
spacetiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelittel View Post
It’s probably only a matter of time before the next generation of riders discovers the 599 and we see an influx of new members and posts. In my opinion the 599 will soon fall into that “first real bike” category for the next generation.

Incidentally my first “real bike” was a 1976 CB 550 Four.
Same first "real bike" too - 76 CB550 back in 1980-2. I probably should have died on that thing 4-5 times. My angel saved me!

Jerry
spacetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #31
spacetiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
I poke my head once every few weeks to see if there are questions to answer. This place doesn't have the full crew of commenters anymore, but it's still a deep resource for anyone willing to take the time to search through old threads. I try to be a bit of a librarian and point people to the right threads when I recognize something the group has solved in the past.
I'll start my thread soon enough as I just got my 2004 CB599. With 6 bikes in the fold, there is always something to do. Maybe in another month.

Jerry
Old 10-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #32
JillGat

Send a message via AIM to JillGat

I wonder if Honda Hornet riders outside the US frequent a different site. I saw lots of them in Spain.
JillGat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #33
spacetiger

This the only other Hornet site I know of: http://www.hondahornet.org.uk/messag...4676&start=160

Its quiet like ours.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #34
Joelittel

Thanks spacetiger
Old 10-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #35
Joelittel

There was a site called thehornetsnest or something similar. As well as wristtwister, but I think wristtwister was primarily a 919 site.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #36
LeatherWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I heard they will show off the new 650 in November.
Duuuuude....

I'm SOLD

Quote:
There's a lot to love about a bike so light you can bench press it. If I didn't have an all freeway commute I'd be looking hard at the 300.
Yeah, I think that would be the only thing that might keep me from getting the new 650R... Having a super light bike would just be so great for the mostly urban riding i do these days. If I were to only have one bike, the CB650R would be a no-brainer. But if I'm to keep my 919, then maybe it makes more sense to have the cheaper and much smaller CB300R...

BARBARIANS AT THE GATE
batgband.com
facebook.com/batgband