Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > Honda 599 Resource Center > Articles about the 599

Articles about the 599 Lots has been written about our bikes. Let's attemp to collect these articles here.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:09 AM   #1
Creakinbones

Default Future classic?

Had to smile when I read his answer to Q7. Our bike being lumped in with some esteemed company. Of course, over your side of the pond, it will be a RARE classic. Enjoy.

http://www.bikeexif.com/glynn-kerr

Last edited by Creakinbones; 07-04-2011 at 04:12 AM.
Creakinbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Super Sneaky Steve

Default Re: Future classic?

In think in the states if I were to name two bikes that changed and shaped the biking landscape it would be the SV650 and Hayabusa.

The 599 is really just a blip on the radar screen.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
Creakinbones

Interesting. I wouldn't have expected it to be them. How did they make such an impact Steve. Timing? The american bike scene as a whole still confounds me a bit, even after picking up snippets on here for a year.

The Busa had a big impact over here, but didn't really change things much. It's kind of ploughed it's own furrow. The biggest impact in recent times has been the BMW R1200GS (with help from a film star following a tv crew around the world - cynical, I know).

Before that, I'd say Tadeo Baba's original Fireblade. There was nothing particularly special about it at the time, RWU forks etc, but they shrunk a mass-market big sportsbike to the size and weight of the 600s. That one thing seemed to make a mockery of everything else around it. It happened at the start of a bike sales boom over here, fuelled by babyboomers looking to get back on a bike. This was the one to get so.... the UJM market here fell on it's arse. It seemed to spark a litre sportsbike war that has ended in just selling more or less track bikes with lights on and making things a little laughable. A purely personal observation and it's definately not the first time this has happened in the past, but maybe this is the first time it went mainstream from what I can see.

Sales of sports bikes fell off a cliff here last year (relative to everything else) and the void, so far, has been filled by nakeds and adventure bikes.

Last edited by Creakinbones; 07-09-2011 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
DH919

Send a message via AIM to DH919 Send a message via Yahoo to DH919

I'm going to have to side with Steve, the Hayabusa has had an influence on the American sport bike culture that is border line ridiculous... people getting one simply for the sake of having a "Busa" nevermind the fact they can't ride it.

"If yer workin on a bike and are having to use a lot of strength you've probably got the wrong tool and you're about to hurt yourself or break something." - Nelson at Honda of Cookeville, TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapracer View Post
Let me introduce you to my taint. It's all sweaty and nasty from having a fever and chills all day yesterday, so it's just about prime for your enjoyment.
DH919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
Asphalt_in_SF

The 'Busa had a definite impact on American motorcycle culture considering it's world's fastest status, it's impact on the pro drag-racing scene and how popular it became as the status quo non-Harley bike to customize. But from what I can tell the biggest change in American bike culture in the last ten years is still in Harley's court. The popularity of baggers. With loud speakers. Blaring really bad music.
Asphalt_in_SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
Creakinbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt_in_SF View Post
But from what I can tell the biggest change in American bike culture in the last ten years is still in Harley's court. The popularity of baggers. With loud speakers. Blaring really bad music.
It's funny, but I follow the bike building scene and had noticed commercial builders in the US, Arlen Ness etc were building customised baggers. Megabuck bikes for the few. I should have guessed there must be a popular mainstream scene which underpins it. There seems to be a splinter scene of squids wheelying electra glides up the road over your side too, or maybe it's just a small group getting a lot of internet attention.

Last edited by Creakinbones; 07-10-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #7
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt_in_SF View Post
The 'Busa had a definite impact on American motorcycle culture considering it's world's fastest status, it's impact on the pro drag-racing scene and how popular it became as the status quo non-Harley bike to customize. But from what I can tell the biggest change in American bike culture in the last ten years is still in Harley's court. The popularity of baggers. With loud speakers. Blaring really bad music.
I think Harley had a big impact back in the 40's with the knuckelhead and later in the 60's with the big easy rider movement. Since then it's just kinda recycling itself. The only new thing to come out of The Motor Company has been the V-rod and it's variations and that hasn't really caught on as well as they were expecting I think.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote