Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Repair and Maintenance

Repair and Maintenance Questions and answers about repairing and maintaining your beloved Hornet.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Elcorado

Default Carbs overflowed after rebuild. Gas in oil now

Hey guys,

My first and last post on here was about my carbs acting up. A little after new year I took them off the engine and noticed that 2 of the sliders springs (cylinder 3 and 4) were in pieces. So I ordered new springs and while waiting I cleaned the carbs (jets, needle valves and float bowl). It took more than a month to get the new springs so my carbs waited off the bike all that time (upright position on a workbench). After reinstalling the carbs on the bike and the first start, fuel pissed from the top of the carbs (suspect from the carbs air vent hose) and leaked in the engine while still running so I stopped the bike. Now my bike hydro locked and wouldn't start. I removed the plugs cleaned them and turn the engine with plugs off to get rid of the fuel but it was too late. Gas got in my oil. So I detached the carbs from the engine and installed the fuel tank to fill the carbs again. No leaks. I drained the carbs and filled them back again 2 or 3 time just to be sure. Still no leaks. So I suppose that my float hinge or the needle valve dried off from all that time sitting and did move only after being lubricated by gas.

Now two questions:
First, how do I change my oil. The owner's manual recommends warming up the bike to change it but I don't really want to start it because of the fuel in the oil. Also right now it's too cold outside (around 0 celcius). How should I proceed?

Second, is it safe to reinstall the carbs on the bike if it doesn't leak anymore. I don't know if once it get air flow it will leak again. I only supposed it was because everything was dry. If it doesn't leak with the carbs detached from the engine and the pressure from the tank (I pulled vacuum on the petcock diaphragm), could it leak again?

Also I should add that I did try to run the bike again with the old plugs and the cylinders free of fuel (let it sit for a week). It would crank with no strange noise so I think nothing broke from hydro locking it. It hydro locked only from trying to crank the engine so the starter just wouldn't turn over at one point. I ordered new plugs (last ones did not even go 1500 km they were new from september last year, but were also really really black when I took them off) and installed them this week but I was waiting for feedback to reinstall everything.

Thanks

Last edited by Elcorado; 03-24-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Elcorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2018, 03:32 AM   #2
vic2099

Default Re: Carbs overflowed after rebuild. Gas in oil now

Oil change - do as normal. Warm oil is going to drain quicker, thats all.

If carbs aren't leaking and you are sure thay're good - go ahead and put them on. Be sure they are fine.

Now - I may be wrong - but I suspect that you may have mixed two hoses when connecting carbs.

"fuel pissed from the top of the carbs" - not sure how to understand this.
vic2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
Elcorado

Thanks for the reply,

So what I need to do is proceed normally for the oil change without warming the bike, just wait for temperatures to warm up and let the oil drain longer.

What I meant by fuel pissed from the top of the carbs is that it seemed to be from the air vent hose that connects to the 2 air vent joints on the top of the carbs assembly (the hose just connects the 2 vents to atmosphere, it isn't connected to anything). When I inspected from where all the fuel came from that hose was wet and it smelled like fuel. It also leaked into the cylinders from the throat of each carbs.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
370steve

sounds like floats sticking!! when you let fuel into the carbs do it slowly the first time, and if fuel comes out the breather tap the bottom of the carb float bowls with a small hammer, if they free off fuel will stop coming out the breather. hope that helps
or you can set the carbs up on a bowl, connect fuel and check for leaks without the chance of filling the engine with fuel again.

like this

Last edited by 370steve; 03-30-2018 at 01:31 PM.
370steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
Elcorado

That's basically what I did. I disconnected the whole carburetor assembly from the engine and connected the fuel line. Pulled vacuum on the petcock and filled the bowls with no fuel pouring from anywhere. Drained the bowls again to make sure they did fill up and filled them up again.

I did not have time to continue working on the bike so it's just sitting in the garage for now. I've been told that if I don't want to risk changing the oil a second time if it ever does overflow again, I could just reassemble everything and run the bike before. The fuel in the oil will not be enough to cause damage (so I've been told). It's not like I will go for a ride. Just run it at idle, let it warm up a bit, see if it still leaks and if not, change oil/filter.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
Elcorado

Good news everyone!

I just reinstall everything today, filled the carbs before starting and it fired right up with no leaks. Just need to do the oil change and lube the chain and I'm ready for the season
Old 04-25-2018, 07:04 AM   #7
Joelittel

Glad to hear you’re up and running.
Joelittel is offline   Reply With Quote