Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Accidents

Accidents They do happen. This is a place to share experiences and learn lessons.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
Chadri

Default sometimes confidence = incident

So a couple months ago I was out in San Francisco for work. I had exactly 2 days off on a 7 day trip. I decided to rent a bmw and ride a little bit of the coast with a good friend of mine who rides a 1987 Honda Transalp.

Coming from Long Island, I've never experienced riding like this, it was hands down the best riding i've ever done. We set out on a monday late morning, and rarely passed cars on the longer stretch of roads.

Being from a highly congested area and also being relatively new to riding (a few years and probably 6000 miles total under my belt) It's not easy to get into a good riding groove. It's also difficult to improve as a technical rider. I've put in enough time on the bike to have a high level of comfort, but it's been tough to feel like I can hit that next level of ability.

Being out in this part of the country and on these roads, was exactly what I needed to really feel like I was improving as a technical rider. After only a few hours, I started to feel more comfortable than ever, drop deeper and lower into turns and just generally to feel really good and confident in myself.

Well... the bike i rent was a bmw gs650. it's an awesome bike, but in retrospect is a little too small for me. As I got better and better I was scraping the bike to the ground on almost every turn. Here in NY my bike pegs will touch the ground every once and a while, but generally I just don't ride that aggressive.

It's ironic that after feeling so comfortable and confident in my riding, I had one of my only incidents ever on a bike. I thankfully didn't go down, and the bike never hit the ground, but I somehow managed to mangle my leg up pretty good. Going around a very very sharp turn in the redwood forests, I snagged my foot on the ground, yanking my leg off the peg and awkwardly far off the bike. My shin bounced around between pegs, levers, etc and cut it up pretty good. The whole incident nearly took me off the bike, but I managed to pull the bike upright and keep my balance. I stopped to check out my leg which had some pretty good bruising and cuts almost immediately.

It took about 2o minutes for me to shake it off and get back into a good riding groove, but it was certainly a wake up call, reminding me that no matter how confident I become, I have plenty to learn and experience!
Chadri is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
SLC599er

Default Re: sometimes confidence = incident

Yikes!
SLC599er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Iowa599
Previously: xci.ed6

That Transalp, hotness...
83 CB550/650 Nighthawk -the beast
81 GL1100 Goldwing -sorta cafe
75 CB360 -real cafe

00 Accord 4 DR V6 -riding low (& slow) homie
youtube- Iowa599 & krustindumm
Iowa599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
mlove

I've snagged my foot on the 599 taking a left hander and trying to upshift. It also was a lesson learned.
mlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
djamalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitos_92 View Post
Any time you survive to realize it's a learning experience, it's a good thing. I know I've done my share of stupid stuff and had my wake-up calls. Glad you got off relatively easy.
Couldn't have said it better myself, so I won't even try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlove View Post
I've snagged my foot on the 599 taking a left hander and trying to upshift. It also was a lesson learned.
Ditto, foot caught one of those damn reflectors off to the side of the divider line (in CA, they don't put the reflectors in the line, they go to the side - extra annoying) with similar ass-puckering effects.

Glad you're okay though.
djamalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #6
Chadri

Lightbulb Re: sometimes confidence = incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamalt View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself, so I won't even try.

Ditto, foot caught one of those damn reflectors off to the side of the divider line (in CA, they don't put the reflectors in the line, they go to the side - extra annoying) with similar ass-puckering effects.

Glad you're okay though.
Thanks everyone! It's almost good to have a wake up call every once and a while as I start advancing on a bike. When I first start riding something like this would have never happened. It's interesting how the relationship between saftey and skill evolves. Anyhow, still learning a lot!
Chadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:06 AM   #7
Asphalt_in_SF

Good reminder to keep the balls of your feet on the pegs when cornering and keep your toes up. Glad you enjoyed your time out here. We have roads reminiscent of sexy women, soft shoulders and dangerous curves.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:09 AM   #8
XarlesGendron

Default AppValley app

AppValley Apk android is the best alternative for Google play store on android phones or devices. AppValley Download is the right junction for getting all the free apps, games and their mods easily.
XarlesGendron is offline   Reply With Quote