Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Repair and Maintenance

Repair and Maintenance Questions and answers about repairing and maintaining your beloved Hornet.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
bsamuel6

Exclamation Missing Right Rear Wheel Adjustment Cover

I was going to do some maintenance on my hornet when I saw that the cover for the drive chain adjustment is completely missing! Don't know when/where/why it happened, but my question is how serious is this issue and how do I fix it? Should I stop riding immediately until it is resolved? What is this part called and where can I purchase it? I am fairly new owner and this has me pretty concerned. Thanks in advance for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0714.jpg (63.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0715.jpg (34.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0716.jpg (32.1 KB, 15 views)
bsamuel6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2018, 05:28 AM   #2
Sundog

Default Re: Missing Right Rear Wheel Adjustment Cover

If your axle is well tightened, it should not move even with the plate missing, however you should not ride like that since the plate provides redundancy. Also, your rear tire may be highly misaligned and that can have unpredictable effects on handling.

You can buy a new plate, with the two locking nuts that go on the end of the bolt, at an OEM Honda parts online seller like hondaparts-direct.com. (don't leave off the dash, that leads to a different site. )

This happens to people occasionally. If the two nuts that are supposed to lock the plate come loose, or were not properly tightened, they can shake right off and then nothing holds the plate on. If you have work done at a shop and they recently removed the wheel, or adjusted your chain tension, have some words with them because they probably forgot to do this or left off the second nut. You should check the other side too.

Last edited by Sundog; 10-03-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #3
slippy

I might have an extra one of these. I lost one too and when I bought a new one I think i bought a set? I can't remember. I'll look for it tonight. If I find it I can send it to you for the price of shipping.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
bsamuel6

Thanks for your help, I ordered the parts and made sure it was properly tightened this time. Not sure what happened last time
bsamuel6 is offline   Reply With Quote