Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > General

General General Discussions.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
mlove

Default Iron Butt testimonies.

Just wondering what people have managed to ride in one day? and on which bikes.

The longest strait shot I've done is Vancouver to Calgary on the hornet. Which is 970km or 602miles. It was a long day. I wore bicycle shorts under my pants, which helped with the feeling in my legs.

I would recommend this ride for anyone who is interested, it is a beautiful trip through the mountains, desert and forest.

I would love to get a better bike for riding long distances 2 up. My wife is only good for about 1 and half hrs on the back.
mlove is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
mathias77

Default Re: Iron Butt testimonies.

A few weeks ago, I rode from Halifax to the Cape Breton Highlands and back in a day with a couple of small side trips to pick up and drop off friends--ca. 950 km or so (on the Hornet). I wore bicycle shorts as well, but it wasn't the butt that gave me problems toward the end. What made me quite uncomfortable were my knees and my neck (strong wind from the same side for the last few hours). I should say that I've had knee surgery in the past, so I won't blame this on the poor Hornet. I'm actually quite surprised by how much distance I can cover comfortably and enjoyably on that bike.

But speaking of iron (or not so iron) butts: has anyone tried an airhawk cushion for the Hornet? I've been waffling about whether or not it makes sense to get one. It sounds like they work rather well.
mathias77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
DH919

Send a message via AIM to DH919 Send a message via Yahoo to DH919

http://www.honda599.com/forums/showt...ight=Iron+Butt

"If yer workin on a bike and are having to use a lot of strength you've probably got the wrong tool and you're about to hurt yourself or break something." - Nelson at Honda of Cookeville, TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapracer View Post
Let me introduce you to my taint. It's all sweaty and nasty from having a fever and chills all day yesterday, so it's just about prime for your enjoyment.
DH919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
mlove

Hey DH919,
How many hrs did that trip take you? I'm guessing it took the large part of a day for sure considering that I took about 11hrs to go 600 miles.
mlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
GuyD

I couldn't go more than 200 miles on my 599 because the seat started to really hurt my butt. I've done 500+ mile days on my Striple and was a bit delirious towards the end of the trip the two times I did those hauls, 12+ hour days on mostly two lane roads. I think doing it on the interstate would be cake.

I totalled my 599 so no muppet for me!

My Old Bike: http://www.honda599.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6190
GuyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
reverus

my longest haul was 575 in just under 12 hours, It's not fun. it's worth it though. I look at it like running a marathon, sure it hurts, it's hard, it takes mental and physical endurance, but the reward is knowing you did something epic and you did it yourself. I've made that trip on both the 599 and the vfr800. the 599 was BRUTAL on that trip. I didn't know how bad that seat was until i got a new bike.
The cool part is doing 575 one day, sleeping then doing 500 the next day.
reverus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
reverus

by the way, gold bond is my best friend ever.. nothing like trying to stand up only to realize your taint is stuck to the inside of your bike shorts and standing is ripping off bits of skin.

tmi?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
DH919

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlove View Post
Hey DH919,
How many hrs did that trip take you? I'm guessing it took the large part of a day for sure considering that I took about 11hrs to go 600 miles.
If the weather had played nicer I could have completed the trip in about 19-20 hours, but when it started raining on me on my way back, I had to stop more times than planned, but I completed the trip in 23hours...

"If yer workin on a bike and are having to use a lot of strength you've probably got the wrong tool and you're about to hurt yourself or break something." - Nelson at Honda of Cookeville, TN.

Quote:
Let me introduce you to my taint. It's all sweaty and nasty from having a fever and chills all day yesterday, so it's just about prime for your enjoyment.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
Sundog

I did a round 700 miles one day this summer, starting on the northern shore of the St. Lawrence Seaway, north of Quebec City and ending in NYC. That was about 13 hours of riding, but it included a ferry ride. The most draining/stressful part of that ride was the last half hour riding into NYC without a clear idea where I was going.
Sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
reverus

700 miles in 13 hours??

Old 10-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
Sundog

DH's iron butt ride was way more impressive than that.
Sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
JHenley17

Send a message via AIM to JHenley17

That would suck even in a Rolls Royce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitos_92 View Post
Dude. You could say your mom has a dismal power/weight ratio, but I ride her year-round, too.
JHenley17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #13
Creakinbones

350 miles of twisties in one day. It had the weird effect of me still feeling like I was riding the thing while lying in bed that night.
Creakinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
LedZep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creakinbones View Post
350 miles of twisties in one day. It had the weird effect of me still feeling like I was riding the thing while lying in bed that night.
The weird thing for me is that I've done 200+ miles of riding twisties in a day and didn't even notice it. Seriously didn't think I had done more than 75 until I saw the fuel light come on. However, I have also done 200+ miles on flat slab and after the first 50 miles, I was not enjoying it.

My regular weekend ride here is always 100+ miles total and includes about 20 or so miles one way just to get to the fun sections and then another 20 back. Those two twenty mile interstate sections are by far the worst part but that is also partly because of traffic.

I would like to try some longer rides in the future but it would be a matter of making myself realize that a significant portion would be flat and straight.
LedZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #15
cbr900rr

just did my numbers... 5 days -2,500 miles... still cant be right, i remember a 500 and a 600 day but i also remember a couple days of....not so many miles lol. still i went from L.A. to atlanta in 5 days. torrance ca. to vegas ran up 15 to utah and headed east toward colorado. i ran the bottom towards durango, think i headed south at bonita springs toward n.m. trying to get to 40. once on 40 let the miles tick off lol lol. remapping the path on google puts it at 2,400+ miles sooo maybe. 599 is a warmachine
cbr900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #16
DH919

if you are planning a multiple day long ride, I would shoot to get the long days out of the way early before your body is overly tired and the ride will go much easier

Quote: