Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > General

General General Discussions.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #41
reverus

Default Re: Your opinions (and tips) on lane-splitting

lane splitting is not safe. It's on a motorcycle. nothing on a motorcycle is "safe" There is no greater or lessor of a chance of someone cutting you off, opening a door, or otherwise wrecking into you than at any other time on the road. We are always at risk of someone, cutting us off, running a red light, swerving with no warning, ect ect ect. I always shake my head at the safety argument. someone rear ends you while waiting in traffic, you get just as hurt as you would if you were lane splitting and someone opened the door. (though personally if i had to choose i'd take the door over getting rear ended ANY day.)
The implication that the cagers fighting against these laws give two hoots about biker safety is laughable as of right now there is not ONE single law that protects bikers. none. at least not where I live. I lane split legal or not when its nessesary IE: traffic is dead stopped on the freeway and doesn't look like its going to move again anytime soon. In those situations i dont see how a cop could pull me over anyhow and even if he did I'd simply explain how difficult traffic jams are on bikers, if he tickets me, oh well. that's a risk im willing to take.
As far as what other drivers think about it, american drivers are self entitled assholes and I gave up trying to please them LONG LONG LONG ago.
haters gonna hate.
reverus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #42
littlebr4d

I'm pretty sure I'd get shot or stabbed if I tried it here in Baltimore.

I've only been riding for 3 years, and only twice have I ridden in the median (at 15-20mph) when traffic was at a dead stop. This was mostly to prevent overheating.

My bike (FZR400) is known to run hot, and stopping/riding under 20mph for any more than a minute or two after the bike is up to temp will put the needle just below the red zone. My fan usually saves me, but I don't like to rely on it. On one hot day I actually had my coolant tank overflow.

I know CA has some gnarly traffic, but I'd have to say that Baltimore/DC traffic is up near the top of the list as well... I feel it should be legal here but I can see a lot of people not taking kindly to it.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #43
370steve

its legal here, and done with caution is safe as any other type of overtake
Old 04-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #44
cbr900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyohchatter View Post
I was in the military for 9 years and drove in the majority of the states. My local area, Dayton OH, is without a doubt the worst and rudest drivers in the nation. I have absolutely no doubt that if you attempted to lane split in this area the drivers would turn in front of you, open doors, and do all matter of cruel and unusual things to ensure your lane splitting days were over. Shoulder, eh, maybe, but forget about the lane splitting. Hell, I've ridden 10-15K miles a year for decades and I can tell you you are taking your life in your own hands just taking I-75 during rush hour.
dude im from dayton also, u must not get out much
cbr900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:24 AM   #45
"A"`

American car culture is: roads belong to cars, other vehicle just don't belong; especially when traffic flow comes to a crawl.
Bicycles and motorcycles are toys, don't belong on the roads even when traffic flow slows to a standstill; it would be justified if someone gets hurt trying to get by when I'm stuck in bumper-to-bumper in my car .

I've lived and ridden motorcycles in many countries around the world, most of them don't have roads as nice as here in the US, most of them have 2-wheel vehicle outnumber cars;
filtering & lane-splitting for 2-wheel vehicle among cars are common as pedestrians jaywalking.
AFAIK, vehicle fatality in those countries are no higher proportionally than US statistics. In addition, most of those countries have no laws or regulations that pertain to filtering or lane-splitting.

If you choose to operate a vehicle that cannot maneuver among tight traffic pattern, why hinder other vehicles that can get by safely without problem?
Sure there are cyclists and motorcyclists that set bad examples and ride poorly among traffic, endanger others on the road; but are all cyclist or motorcyclist to be stereotyped as such?

Legal or not, the facts are: filtering through traffic standstill when you have a narrow vehicle is just helping to reduce traffic volume, reduce pollution levels and overall reduce wait time for all stuck in traffic.
Most American drivers fail to realize that and think allowing narrower vehicles to filter through is somehow unfair for those stuck in traffic with larger vehicles. Sad that people can't think for the common good beyond their own immediate surrounding; that's big problem in current American society.
"A"` is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:56 AM   #46
Joelittel

+1

I agree with everything “A” said concerning lane splitting and I’m coming from a Chicago perspective.

Lane splitting is not legal here either, but I’ve never seen the law enforced.
Joelittel is offline   Reply With Quote