Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > General

General General Discussions.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
RadekSkylark

Default Hornet for sale - need help!

Hallo guys.

I'm looking for a bike and have come by a Honda CG600S Hornet 2002 model. The bike supposedly has 40k km on clock (24,8k miles). The bike is on the craigslist for 1550 euros, but I already got price down to 1450 euros over by the phone. Seller told that he sells it just because he doesn't want to keep it to himself over the winter (I actually don't understand this, because if he still likes the bike and doesn't want to change it to another and if the bike is in good condition why would he sell it just because of the need to keep it over the winter).

Anyhow the price of the bike seems a bit lowto me so I want to understand if there could be some hidden problems with the bike which could be hard to spot while checking it out and test riding it (or maybe impossible to spot while checking it out). Here is a list of bikes for sale and you can see that the one I'm talking about is the cheapest (https://www.ss.lv/lv/transport/moto-...SeF4belM=.html).

Here are few pictures of the bike:
https://s11.postimg.io/dhx8k3j43/mot...087162_800.jpg
https://s11.postimg.io/jk4val7k3/mot...087164_800.jpg
https://s11.postimg.io/r2o0j7ywz/mot...237042_800.jpg
https://s11.postimg.io/v0ba8mlqb/mot...237043_800.jpg

For the defects... From what I understand the seller bought the bike after a crash with bent handlebars, a little dent in the tank and some scratches on the muffler. The handlebars where replaced, but the dent on the tank is still present, as well as the scratches on the muffler. Seller says that brake pads will need to be replaced soon. The front brake disc is ok, but he's not sure about the rear brake disc. Also he noted that there is some sound from engine, which he says is the well known "clutch rattle", which is only present when clutch lever is decompressed (clutch enabled).

What do you guys think?
What specific checks should I do when checking out Hornet?

Thanks
RadekSkylark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
front50r

Default Re: Hornet for sale - need help!

It's possible that the suspension might be a bit soft / in need of replacement. But that should be apparent if you take it for a test ride. Especially in the front if it's been wheelied. You can always check the motor mounts where the crash bungs are and make sure there's no bending or damage from falling over. Perhaps it needs a new chain but the tires (though mismatched) seem decent enough. Just check the oil and make sure everything works! The hornet might have a bit of noise from the clutch but it shouldn't be unreasonable, at least mine isn't..
2 4 R

Last edited by front50r; 08-28-2016 at 02:22 PM.
front50r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:10 AM   #3
Flyingbrick

Hi there,

I can't judge the price level in Latvia, but I just bought three different Hornets. A '98, a '01 and a '02 model. In Germany, the mentioned price would be absolutely normal, no bargain.

Quite many Hornets have been dropped by one of the previous owners. Some of them several times. Most owners are to stingy for crash pads, so fuel tank, fairing, exhaust and engine covers will be damaged. For example, a fuel tank is about EUR 800 in Germany and there are nearly no undamaged used parts around. I guess that in case of your bike the fairing has been damaged as well. It's no problem at all to get a muffler for a reasonable price, but all other damaged parts are quite expensive if you get them at all. In conclusion, that might be the reason for the price.

Regarding the noisy clutch: quite normal, but annoying. In case of my '98 model, there is almost no noise hearable (9500 km), but in case of the '01 Hornet with nearly the same mileage the noise was awful. I've got no clue why.

A set of brake linings is about 20 EUR, a brake disk is about EUR 100.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:54 AM   #4
RadekSkylark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingbrick View Post
Hi there,

I can't judge the price level in Latvia, but I just bought three different Hornets. A '98, a '01 and a '02 model. In Germany, the mentioned price would be absolutely normal, no bargain.

Quite many Hornets have been dropped by one of the previous owners. Some of them several times. Most owners are to stingy for crash pads, so fuel tank, fairing, exhaust and engine covers will be damaged. For example, a fuel tank is about EUR 800 in Germany and there are nearly no undamaged used parts around. I guess that in case of your bike the fairing has been damaged as well. It's no problem at all to get a muffler for a reasonable price, but all other damaged parts are quite expensive if you get them at all. In conclusion, that might be the reason for the price.

Regarding the noisy clutch: quite normal, but annoying. In case of my '98 model, there is almost no noise hearable (9500 km), but in case of the '01 Hornet with nearly the same mileage the noise was awful. I've got no clue why.

A set of brake linings is about 20 EUR, a brake disk is about EUR 100.
So you tell me that used fuel tanks in good condition are non existent for decent prices? I did a little check and couldn't find a undamaged fuel tank indeed, so that may be a problem. Although I would want to ride the bike for at least two seasons so I could always try and search for fuel tank, if one pops up.

Anyhow the next S model costs 1000euros more so I would rather save 1000 euros and ride with a little dent in the tank.

P.S. Is there a youtube video to check how the "clutch rattle" actually sounds?
Old 08-29-2016, 04:14 AM   #5
Flyingbrick

The small dent in the tank and the damaged fairing and the scratched parts, yes. He did not repair any part that is more than EUR 25. My forecast: you'll sell this bike later on without any chance to get those parts in the meantime. Yes, the bike might be EUR 1000 cheaper -because the mentioned parts are at least EUR 1500.

And, as you wrote, he was even to stingy to spend EUR 20 for brake pads. So expect a bike from an owner who avoided any maintenance, any repairs, and who is selling the bike just when the damages are getting to expensive. This would not be my first choice.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:23 AM   #6
RadekSkylark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingbrick View Post
The small dent in the tank and the damaged fairing and the scratched parts, yes. He did not repair any part that is more than EUR 25. My forecast: you'll sell this bike later on without any chance to get those parts in the meantime. Yes, the bike might be EUR 1000 cheaper -because the mentioned parts are at least EUR 1500.

And, as you wrote, he was even to stingy to spend EUR 20 for brake pads. So expect a bike from an owner who avoided any maintenance, any repairs, and who is selling the bike just when the damages are getting to expensive. This would not be my first choice.
What damage to the fairing are you talking about?

Anyhow, you might be correct, the bike could lack maintenance, which should be totally apparent while inspecting the bike.

The thing is that I would want a Hornet for 2500 euros, I would go for a different bike. At this point I'm limited to something around 1700 euros for my second bike (first was Honda Dominator 650, which I sold last year), so I have to chose between some old Yamaha XJ600 Diversion etc or Honda Hornet with possibly only little exterior damage which will always keep the value of the bike down compared to others, but possibly won't impair the use of the bike, which I think is ok with me. I'm pretty sure there will be someone in my situation when I'll want to sell it for pretty much the same cost of around 1,5k euros, as I will definitely take care of it and it won't be in worse condition than it was.

What do you think about my situation - wouldn't this be better than some 1995 XJ Diversion or somekind of GS500?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2016, 05:56 AM   #7
Flyingbrick

It is nearly impossible to damage the tank without any cracks at the fairing.
Once again, I am not informed about the price level in Latvia; the bike would be no bargain in Germany -there are some bikes for sale between 1000 and 2000 EUR.

The GS500 is very old-fashioned with an engine that is about 40 years old. GS500 and Hornet have nothing in common; the Suzuki painting is a very poor quality -one of the worst bikes I've ever owned. The Diversion is a little more up to date but still air-cooled.

Regarding the Hornet, I just wanted to keep in mind that this one needs some work and investment, so the reason for the lower price is the lower value, not an inexperienced seller.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:00 AM   #8
RadekSkylark

Was there, checked the bike and indeed it is not in a good condition, I won't even go into details...

Thanks for everything!
Old 08-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #9
Flyingbrick

What about the fairing?

By the way, if you're after a GS500, check its competitor Honda CB500 or, if you don't like a naked bike, CB500S.

That one is really bullet-proof and still going strong after 100,000 km. One of the best and reliable bikes ever built by Honda and definitely the best "bang for the buck". I still have got three different ones (and had much more) and literally nothing went wrong with these. Plus, they have 57/58 hp, so you won't be disappointed as with the little Suzuki.

Last edited by Flyingbrick; 08-30-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Flyingbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #10
RadekSkylark

Fairing was repaired in a DIY manner.

There is a 2007 GS500F for sale for 1020 euros, was imported from Germany recently - will check it tomorrow. Seller told me over the phone that everything is fine with the bike, will see, if that is correct, I think that price is really good.