Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > General

General General Discussions.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #2401
tomacana

Default Re: How was your ride today?

The weather last Saturday was great for a mid-winter day, the high temp was about sixty-six degrees. A day like that, with me just over seven weeks recovery from a little heart attack which was affectionately called the widow maker, I needed to ride.

Day one The 599 also needed a charge on the battery and the best way to charge one up is to ride. The weather called for it and I wanted to feel alive, to play so off I went on a twenty mile jaunt through the hills and hollars of Boogertown and Old Mountain Road. Lovely day.

Day two Sunday was maybe a bit warmer and the FJR's battery needed charge. I started a little earlier in the day so I took a 40 plus mile ride. I was on most of the same roads as the day before but I added Jones Cove road because it is about 15 miles long and has recently been paved.

Day three I had parked the FJR and noticed she was running on reserve so I had to make a gas run on Monday. It was a bit cooler, the high was about 58F but I took the long route to Pigeon Forge to get gas and than took the long loop home. It was nice to get out and burn up the roads.
tomacana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #2402
Creakinbones

I had a run with this bunch at the week-end. It's the charity run I do every year and a good opportunity to catch up with old faces, many that I'd not seen since last years run!

Due to one thing and another I've only managed two 12 mile runs on the bike all winter, so it was a strange experience on the ride over to discover that I couldn't ride a bike anymore. I was riding like an arse and only really got into the swing of it on the long run home in the late afternoon.

Still, all that early morning braking on the apex was replaced by my usual silky smooth bend swinging (this is in my mind, right?) and all was eventually okay with the world again.

Only a 120 mile day but my arse feels like I've broke it, but as you'll not likely want to see my arse, I've got a few picks of a couple of bikes that I liked.

Mm.. I do like the cut of this w800s jib.

And I'm a sucker for the old Sunbeam s8. This one was minted and even had oil dripping from the sump like all old brit bikes should.

My bike spent its 14th Scottish winter sitting in the back garden with a couple of covers thrown over it and has once again embarrassed my lack of storing it properly by emerging in very good nick. A couple of farts and splutters and she fired. I needed a few lbs of air in the tyres and off we went. I think I'll give the pipes a shine to thank her.

Me trying to remember how to ride -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/carron...57651785458841

Last edited by Creakinbones; 04-07-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Creakinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:13 AM   #2403
mathias77

Sorry to hear about the arse, but I'm glad you posted the pics and your report. It's really nice to see/read things like these when the snow here is still more than knee deep and it seems we'll never see spring. It's good to be able to live vicariously through other forum members during what has here been called the "springter of 2015." Clearly the original Scotia is doing things better than the new one.
mathias77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:26 AM   #2404
Creakinbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathias77 View Post
Sorry to hear about the arse, but I'm glad you posted the pics and your report. It's really nice to see/read things like these when the snow here is still more than knee deep and it seems we'll never see spring. It's good to be able to live vicariously through other forum members during what has here been called the "springter of 2015." Clearly the original Scotia is doing things better than the new one.
Thanks mathias. Yeah, we've had a mild winter over here and we're enjoying sunny mid 60s f this week. Sorry to hear its still winter in the new country. At the run last Sunday there were more than a few caught out by the mild weather, including me. I had thermals on under my gear and felt it as the fog burned off and the sun raised the temps. Two years ago we rode with the fields full of snow and one of the guys I was meeting up with arrived with ice hanging off his bike!

Here's hoping for a red hot summer.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #2405
TestDog

I took my 11 year old Son out for a ride. I found some low speed twistys to give him a thrill! It's still cool up here in Chicagoland. Winter is cold but I'm looking forward to long periods of good weather. When I lived in Texas.....it was like riding through a hair dryer!
TestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #2406
599-er

Treated myself to a ride this afternoon. The mountain road just opened for the season a few weeks ago. I've been trying to ride it at least one weekend day since. Out into the mountains and around some lakes. Ran out of gas two blocks away from my house! Also noticed my bike was leaking a little bit of oil, which is hopefully fixed now.

Having trouble getting pics to show. Here are the links instead:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg

Last edited by 599-er; 05-09-2015 at 10:21 PM.
599-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:04 AM   #2407
Creakinbones

Wow! Oregon looks beautiful. We've still got snow on the tops over here too.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #2408
Super Sneaky Steve

First ride to work today. It was warm out. Tomorrow it will be 49 when I get up. Back to the cage.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #2409
slippy

Had a good weekend. Went from Columbus, OH to Tellico Plains for a meetup with a group my brother has been riding with for years. Rode from the Plains to Robbsinville on the Cherohala and then took 28 down to Franklin. That road was freaking awesome. Besides that I still suck at riding. I could feel everything I was doing wrong but my body would just not listen to my brain. I think I need another track day to get some cornering feel back.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:35 AM   #2410
rookie59

I'm a total rookie rider, this is my first street bike I got 3 weeks ago, so I go out on Sundays away from the city and just ride for practice. So yesterday I rode a total of 210 miles between NW Houston and Lake Somerville. Found out along the way at what point the seat starts feeling like a wood plank. Turns out that's about 175 miles, so that was a painful lesson. I love this bike, but I may have to get the seat upgraded. Or take shorter rides.
On the way back home the only way across the Brazos river is Hwy 290, which is freeway off and on, and it gets pretty busy. I was cruising at a relaxing 65 mph in the slow lane, and a string of cars went by doing about 80-85. That's cool, this is Texas, but that wasn't good enough for one guy in a great big pickup. He suddenly blasted by me on the right shoulder doing at least 90, throwing up all the shoulder dirt and debris in his wake. Had to holler an expletive pretty loud just then.
Overall a great day though. Cruised some nice curvy back roads in beautiful weather, learned some more about my bike and myself, and above all, got home in one piece.
rookie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #2411
Creakinbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie59 View Post
I'm a total rookie rider, this is my first street bike I got 3 weeks ago, so I go out on Sundays away from the city and just ride for practice. So yesterday I rode a total of 210 miles between NW Houston and Lake Somerville. Found out along the way at what point the seat starts feeling like a wood plank. Turns out that's about 175 miles, so that was a painful lesson. I love this bike, but I may have to get the seat upgraded. Or take shorter rides.
On the way back home the only way across the Brazos river is Hwy 290, which is freeway off and on, and it gets pretty busy. I was cruising at a relaxing 65 mph in the slow lane, and a string of cars went by doing about 80-85. That's cool, this is Texas, but that wasn't good enough for one guy in a great big pickup. He suddenly blasted by me on the right shoulder doing at least 90, throwing up all the shoulder dirt and debris in his wake. Had to holler an expletive pretty loud just then.
Overall a great day though. Cruised some nice curvy back roads in beautiful weather, learned some more about my bike and myself, and above all, got home in one piece.
Yep, 175 miles is about right if you're new to the bike if I remember. Bear in mind also that the foam in the seat is probably losing its elasticity by now. Mine had started to go at about 12 years old. The foam in my seat had been shaved to cater for a shorter leg than mine. I had a local guy unstaple the seat cover and insert a layer of comfort foam on top for me. It was then that it was noticed that the seat foam was going 'off'.

If it helps, the more you ride, the less pain you'll get after a long ride.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:38 PM   #2412
Durfee

That's nice!
Durfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #2413
Ratheride1

Hey.
I'm new to motorcycles and this forum. Got my 2004 today. Rode 81.4 miles in and north of Chicago. Loved every minute. I hope your ride was as good as my maiden voyage!!
OMG.
Ratheride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #2414
JHenley17

Send a message via AIM to JHenley17

Certain Beatles songs will cue my nostalgia for my first ride. Nighttime, around LSU, cool night air, feeling like I was flying at a whopping 35 MPH. Dropped it that night, too. Turning right from a stop sign, nervous and tense, just let it fall over while trying to slip the clutch. Scratched my hand up pretty good, burnt my ankle on something hot around the motor, scuffed my clutch cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitos_92 View Post
Dude. You could say your mom has a dismal power/weight ratio, but I ride her year-round, too.
JHenley17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #2415
599-er

Old 07-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #2416
599-er

Old 07-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #2417
599-er

You can see my current bike in this shot.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #2418
edintheclouds

Pretty good commute at 0500. Still getting use to the 599 again after not riding it for a year. I only had to clamp down on the brakes once for a deer.
edintheclouds is offline   Reply With Quote