Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Super Sneaky Steve's Repair and Maintenance Video Corner

Super Sneaky Steve's Repair and Maintenance Video Corner A constantly growing collection of Super Sneaky Steve's repair and maintenance videos.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
Super Sneaky Steve

Default How to install a CA tail light

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDqoUO1b6to

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI0H9wIvIHY

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UTGOVyL8pE

Finnished Product
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rrDN5HdXYY

This was a lot of work to film and upload so I hope it helps someone. My goal is to encorage people new to bikes to dive in and try to do something their selves. You'll save a lot of money and get to experiance another side of motorcycling that is rewarding in it's own right.

I want to make a comment that although the flasher relay made the blink rate perfect, the signals don't start up instantly. It takes 1 second for them to start. After a test ride I decided to pull it and put the orignial back in. This made the blink rate much faster. I may end up putting in the resistors aferall. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Video 3 was taken at some distance so here is a picture to show what my finished product looks like.

www.clearalternatives.com is where I ordered the parts.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
stringburner

Send a message via Yahoo to stringburner

It's also very rewarding to do something like this yourself, and very achievable if you take your time and think it through. It's alot of fun too.

I know you wanted to use the relay Steve, but just put the ends of the wires coming from the resistors in the connectors on each of the signal wires temporarily to see if that makes them work properly before you cut in permanently. Mine flashed WAY too fast w/o them, and it made them perfect. I'm not too concerned about heat since I wouldn't think i'd be having the blinkers on for extended periods of time, but I see your point. I'm pretty particular, so if I thought there was a better way i'd look into it myself. I even bought a new rear harness (since I modified the original)so If I ever wanted/needed to change it back to the stock configuration it would be plug and play.
stringburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
mechanic77

Send a message via AIM to mechanic77

Kewwll Steve nice work tghe only thing I wouldnt do is glue the weather stripping to the lense but rather position it into the channel on the housing and let it stay there rather then the lense but hey ur way worked and it looks good

mechanic77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:39 PM   #4
DarkTint

Just to throw in a different point of view regarding the resisters, I didn't install them or any other sort of relay to slow down the blink rate back to stock. After testing the lights before completely installing them, I decided to leave it at the faster rate because it's tough to deny that the blinkers in the tail light are harder for other drivers to see (in direct sunlight at least), so I figured the faster blinking would help get more attention. And it's not like it was obnoxiously fast, just a little quicker than normal. Plus, the resisters were two less things I had to worry about during the installation.

I must say, when completed, this was the mod I was most proud of on my 599. It got me more compliments than anything else (well, maybe except my Two Brothers exhaust).
DarkTint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:16 AM   #5
stringburner

I've read on several forums where people say they prefer the faster flash rate for safety. My problem is, I know it's not "right", and i'm so particular, i'd go through hell w/ gasoline shorts on to find a way to make them flash like they are supposed to. I can't help it. I think one of those doohickies that go on the back of your helmet and light up for the brake (not sure if they work w/ blinkers too) would be the ticket for safety.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:12 AM   #6
vthoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringburner
I've read on several forums where people say they prefer the faster flash rate for safety.
I seem to remember reading somewhere (a bit fuzzy) there's an FMVSS standard on flash rate. Even fuzzier is "60-120 flashes per minute"... not sure that's right; I'll have to do some more surfing on that. Like you, I'd want it "right." One option might be to hop over to Radio Shack and pick up a variable resistor (some say "pot" or potentiometer). Put that in series with your LEDs and adjust until the flash rate is what you're looking for. Then take a meter and measure resistance across that pot. Then you know what resistor value you're looking for and can go back to the Shack (or to such online-capable vendors as Digi-Key) and get the resistor you need. (Just a thought. If it gets more complex than that, I'd be glad to discuss it further. I work with a crew of electronics gurus -- we'll find a way to make it work.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringburner
... go through hell w/ gasoline shorts ...
Good one! Hadn't heard that before. Love it.
vthoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:01 AM   #7
stringburner

Old 10-21-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
Super Sneaky Steve

I agree that the faster rate is easier to see, but it's technically illigal.

If I dick cop sees it you could get a ticket.

I'm going to call CA and see if I can't get a relay to start with a flash instead of a cancelation.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:56 PM   #9
antihero

Send a message via AIM to antihero

I don't know how well this works since I bought it but since I liked the faster blinkers I never used it. It's supposedly just a drop in replacement for the flasher relay that will flash at the default rate for LEDs.

Flasher Relay
antihero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #10
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero
I don't know how well this works since I bought it but since I liked the faster blinkers I never used it. It's supposedly just a drop in replacement for the flasher relay that will flash at the default rate for LEDs.

Flasher Relay
Yeah, that's what I have now. I have the CA brand. If there isn't a way to fix it I'll try some other brands.

Thanks for the link.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:37 PM   #11
mechanic77

Send a message via AIM to mechanic77

State trooper here in PA that handles the inspections of shops regarding their state inspection needs has told me that my faster rate is fine but that is here in PA ive had cops behind and in front of me many times with my blinkers on and had no problems my bike also always passes its yearly state inspection with the faster rate I did however buy 2 sets of these to have on hand in case it didnt pass but since it does and I like the faster rate I still have them un opened in the packaging

http://www.customled.com/PRODUCTS/MA...ic_blinker.htm
mechanic77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:00 AM   #12
antihero

I did this upgrade last night and i have to say I'm impressed with the final product. I had fears that the blinkers wouldn't be pronounced enough for cars to see or that the brake light might be weaker than the stock but it's awesome. My kit came with resisters instead of a replacement flasher relay. I wasn't impressed and they got super hot. So I just dropped in my flasher relay that I bought from Cycle Gear and it worked great.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:14 AM   #13
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero
I did this upgrade last night and i have to say I'm impressed with the final product. I had fears that the blinkers wouldn't be pronounced enough for cars to see or that the brake light might be weaker than the stock but it's awesome. My kit came with resisters instead of a replacement flasher relay. I wasn't impressed and they got super hot. So I just dropped in my flasher relay that I bought from Cycle Gear and it worked great.
Does the cycle gear one start with a blink? If so, I'm getting one.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:58 AM   #14
antihero

I didn't ride the bike in to work today since it was 37 degrees out this morning but I'm 90% sure it did. I will check again and post here when I get home.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:22 AM   #15
lytew8

Excellent job, your like the martha stewart of bike modding :lol:

That was very detailed. Gstuff.

Maybe you should add in your original post some links where to find these Lights.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:26 AM   #16
antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lytew8
Maybe you should add in your original post some links where to find these Lights.
eBay is a great place for these. There are Clear Alternative taillights for every bike imaginable at decent prices. Just make sure you check their feedback rating.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:32 AM   #17
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lytew8
Excellent job, your like the martha stewart of bike modding :lol:

That was very detailed. Gstuff.

Done!

More videos will come in the spring. My suggestion box is always open.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:43 AM   #18
rndthought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve
My suggestion box is always open.
Still wating on my tire pressure how to vid... :lol:
Old 10-25-2006, 06:31 PM   #19
antihero

Quote:
Does the cycle gear one start with a blink? If so, I'm getting one.
I just got off the bike and yes, it does start on a blink. It seems to work perfectly to me. A drop in replacement. Make sure you get the Honda one, they are manufacturer specific.

MOTRAX FLASHIT LED TURN SIGNAL EQUALIZER
Old 10-25-2006, 07:14 PM   #20
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndthought
Quote:
My suggestion box is always open.
Still wating on my tire pressure how to vid... :lol:
Hey, some people didn't know where their air filter was.

I'll make the tire pressure video when you make a video on how to be a proper man whore. :lol: You're a discrace to man whores everywhere!