Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Super Sneaky Steve's Repair and Maintenance Video Corner

Super Sneaky Steve's Repair and Maintenance Video Corner A constantly growing collection of Super Sneaky Steve's repair and maintenance videos.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Super Sneaky Steve

Default What a jet kit looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bw9rhHkqqI

This is what you get in the box.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
cj599

Send a message via MSN to cj599

Does it give you much more horse power and are jet kits cheap?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Super Sneaky Steve

I paid $82 for mine, but that was a twin. The kit itself most likely won't add a lot of power. It's more of a tool to cure a lean running motor. If you add an exhaust then it may smooth out the power band and add a few ponies.

http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/honda.aspx

Looks like yours will cost about $125 They have instructions and a dyno graph on the site.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
NISxMO

Send a message via AIM to NISxMO

did u change the intake at all for the jet kit? I hear thats pretty much the only reason to use the kit and if so what could be dont to amplify the intake
NISxMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:59 AM   #5
Sev

You can get a freer flowing air filter (Allows more air through) and a freer flowing exhaust (same as above). What this does it lean out the entire system causing the engine to run hot, and potentially damage itself. It could burn up a valve, or hole a piston.

The jet kit allows you to adjust the air/fuel mixture in order to account for the increased flow of air through the engine and prevent any damage (from a lean condition) taking place.

Stuff like this is typically best done with an exhaust gas analyzer present. Because it can tell you exactly what your air:fuel ratio is. I believe ideal is around 13:1, but it's been a while since I had to know that.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISxMO
did u change the intake at all for the jet kit? I hear thats pretty much the only reason to use the kit and if so what could be dont to amplify the intake
Yes I got a K&N. It was a big waste of money. They may let more air in but they also let in more dirt.

Honda does a lot of R&D with their airboxes. They are best left alone.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
NISxMO

Send a message via AIM to NISxMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISxMO
Yes I got a K&N. It was a big waste of money. They may let more air in but they also let in more dirt.

Honda does a lot of R&D with their airboxes. They are best left alone.

Thats interesting, Im glad I heard that, I knew K&Ns let in a little dirt as I usually have them on my cars but I dont think Ill be putting one on the bike then. Thanks!
NISxMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #8
Chris G

Send a message via AIM to Chris G Send a message via MSN to Chris G

Did you install the dynojet yourself? since i moved to a higher altitude my bike has been way outa tune and i was wondering if the kit would help since i have aftermarket exhaust.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:10 AM   #9
carlitos_92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G
Did you install the dynojet yourself? since i moved to a higher altitude my bike has been way outa tune and i was wondering if the kit would help since i have aftermarket exhaust.
Hey Chris, have you at least followed the factory settings for high altitude? At 5,000 feet plus, I think they the manual tells you to back out a screw or something. Check it out.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #10
Chris G

Send a message via AIM to Chris G Send a message via MSN to Chris G

i will check that, from what i understand the dynojet kits are made for sea level and wont do much for improving my bikes performance, but it will make it easy for adjusting.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #11
Transient

The dynojet kits on the 599 aren't known for a tremendous performance difference. Maybe 1-2hp. Like Steve said earlier, the more noticeable benefit will be smoother power delivery.
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #12
Billy from Philly

Default Re: What a jet kit looks like

K guys you talked me into it... I ordered the DynoJet kit stage 1. I have a Micron slip-on and will order the K&N filter. It looks like there are 8 sets of main jets. They suggest using DJ094 main jet for use with a high flow slip-on and air filter.

I plan to install the kit myself and then i guess I will have to take it to a shop to have it properly tuned ??? Is that necessary ?? And why are there so many main jets included in the kit. It says to set Fuel Mixture Screw to 2.5 turns out. Is this adaquate or must it be fine tuned by a shop.

I Googled and YouTubed Dynojet installation but nothing online. The closest thing is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USqw8...eature=related

Last edited by Billy from Philly; 01-09-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Billy from Philly is offline   Reply With Quote