Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Super Sneaky Steve's Repair and Maintenance Video Corner

Super Sneaky Steve's Repair and Maintenance Video Corner A constantly growing collection of Super Sneaky Steve's repair and maintenance videos.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #21
Evil Ed

Default Re: spark plugs

I Just changed my spark plugs in my '06 599. I made a video and I'll post it as soon as I edit it down.
Evil Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #22
aliensk8er

Send a message via AIM to aliensk8er Send a message via MSN to aliensk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarx View Post
My bike was in the shop for the "I got whacked by a van" repairs, and I already bought plugs before that so I threw them in and said "hey, while you're at it...?" I think I had 9200 or 9300 miles on it. There was no noticeable need to do it, but I thought I might as well.

But from what I've seen, you rock the fuel tank back and that should get you enough clearance to work the plugs out.

It might be a little easier if you can get enough torque with a 1/4" ratchet and some u-joints and extensions. I have an arsenal of various joints and bars from changing ignition coils in my truck (damn coil-over-plug design). You wanna talk about a nasty plug change job? That's almost $400 at the dealer. It's awful, but saves a lot of money.

what kind of truck and what year and engine do u have
aliensk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #23
JBarx

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensk8er View Post
what kind of truck and what year and engine do u have
1998 F-150 Romeo 330 c.i. (5.4L) V8, 2v, "Triton" modular. E4OD Transmission.
Spring Swarm 2010 Survivor
Fall Swarm 2010 Survivor
Spring Swarm 2011 Survivor
Fall Swarm 2011 Survivor
Spring Swarm 2012 Survivor
"I'm aboot to boost a noot in you moote!"
JBarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #24
Evil Ed

Default Re: spark plug change video

Here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWVge4ynLEc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6tjM...e=channel_page
Old 03-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #25
JBarx

Dammit! Someone else with a front yoke stand that apparently has no problems with it. I'm going to get to the bottom of this sooner or later.
Spring Swarm 2010 Survivor
Fall Swarm 2010 Survivor
Spring Swarm 2011 Survivor
Fall Swarm 2011 Survivor
Spring Swarm 2012 Survivor
"I'm aboot to boost a noot in you moote!"
JBarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #26
Billy from Philly

GREAT JOB ON THE VIDEO. But I had the shop change my plugs when they installed the DynoJet kit.
Billy from Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #27
carl

"Metal makes tedious tasks look fun"

HAHA.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:42 AM   #28
Evil Ed

What's wrong with your stand?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:45 AM   #29
Evil Ed

Oh and Billy, Why did you install a Jet kit? After market pipe?
Old 03-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #30
Billy from Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
Oh and Billy, Why did you install a Jet kit? After market pipe?
I cut 3.5 inches off the Micron (it was just way to long) and wrapped the inside pipe with metal tape (just wanted it LOUD). I figured that I screwed up the factory tune and so to make sure I was not burining up my engine, I added the K&N and went for the DynoJet kit. Otherwise, I would have just kept it stock. But it starts much easier when cold and seems to have more touque at all rpms. So all and all it was a good move.... I guess ??
Billy from Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #31
Mitch

So this afternoon I had decided that I was going to do a little housekeeping with the bike. I worked up the nerve to actually go into the more sensitive parts of my bike and replace the spark plugs.

I have to give big props to Evil Ed for saving my butt. I also had the problem of getting my spark plug nut and spacer caught in the bike in that infamous #2. I followed his instructions and everything worked out just fine. Phew! Thanks Evil Ed!

And thanks to Steve of course for giving me the courage and the knowledge to do this stuff. Without his videos, I definitely would never step anywhere near this kind of work. They're a big safety net.

These two pictures were taken by my girlfriend right when I realized what I had done.

Once I had put everything back together, I let my girlfriend take one more. That's relief in my face, not constipation.

Just kidding. I'm a perv too.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #32
91_4x4runner

Send a message via AIM to 91_4x4runner

Funny enough, I just did my spark plugs this evening too. I fought with it for a while before I found a winning socket combination. By using a 5/8th's (3/8" drive) spark plug socket attached to a universal joint (swivel thingy) attached to the shortest 3/8th's Craftsman extention, I was able to get spark plugs 2 and 3 out without a hitch. The entire job probably took an hour and a half because of all the fiddling I did initially. I'd wager it'd take about 30 minutes next time...
1978 Datsun 280Z, never driven it
91_4x4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:15 AM   #33
panagiotis

took sparks out and inspected them as bike was difficult to start.. (eliminated battery & fuling first)

didnt have much of an issue especially as i had the Honda tool in my toolkit?

dont you guys have this also?
panagiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #34
Sundog

yeah, I use the tool kit tool, it's just the right size for the job and has that hinge in the middle which makes it easy to get on the two middle plugs.

I haven't watched the videos, so I'm probably repeating a lot of info, but here is my plug replacing procedure:

1. At the short plastic tube that connects the left side carb to the engine block, loosen the metal band that tightens the tube onto the carb, and rotate the band down so that the tightening bolt and sharp ends of the band don't get in the way. If you don't do this, as you move the tank back the sharp corners of the band will chew up the fuel line where it connects to the petcock. This may be a problem specific to '04. You could also pull off the fuel line.

2. Remove the bolt securing the end of the fuel tank.

3. Pull the tank backwards, then lift up slightly to give you more room over the plugs. You don't need to remove it entirely, and you don't need to remove any hoses, unless you want to.

4. Pull the plug wires and remove the plugs with the toolkit tool and a small wrench. I like make sure the area is clean before unscrewing the plugs, so I don't accidentally brush crud into the cylinders. I also fill the holes with paper towels if it's windy out.

5. Replace plugs and apply 9 lb-ft of torque. That isn't much.

6. Look for the numbers on the spark plug wires and make sure they go back on right. You have to push them pretty hard to get them to pop on completely. When there isn't a gap between the rubber skirt and the metal below, they're on tight.

BTW, I recommend anyone who doesn't have the tool kit pick one up at bikebandit.com for $20. Especially if you do any long trips. The tools aren't very high quality, but they're designed just right for what they're needed for on the bike.

Last edited by Sundog; 10-01-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #35
JHenley17

Send a message via AIM to JHenley17

How many bolts hold the tank on, and where? I managed to change 1, 2 (with a lot of patience) and 4 without moving the tank, there was no way in hell I was going to get to 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitos_92 View Post
Dude. You could say your mom has a dismal power/weight ratio, but I ride her year-round, too.
JHenley17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #36
carlitos_92

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHenley17 View Post
How many bolts hold the tank on, and where? I managed to change 1, 2 (with a lot of patience) and 4 without moving the tank, there was no way in hell I was going to get to 3.
I thought it was two, right where the tank meets the seat. Gotta take the seat off, natch.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #37
Sundog

After the side covers are off, there is just one bolt at the rear of the gas tank. The front of the tank has c-shaped brackets that slide onto rubber "plugs". Unbolt, and slide the tank back with a side-to-side motion until the brackets slide off the rubber, then you can set the tank with the c-brackets resting on top of the rubber. Watch out for your fuel line if you haven't removed it - I just replaced mine because I had scraped it up while moving the tank back.
Sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #38
Asphalt_in_SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy from Philly View Post
They have not reached the wear indicators as of yet. I figure 2 to 3,000. miles left ??? .. maybe. I am not hard on the bike. Freeway speeds upwards of 80 or 90 mph but thatís it. Rarely go above 8,000 rpm and not much in the twisties. Sounds boring eh. I have a brand spanking new set of Michelin Pilot Road 2ís sitting in the garage ready to mount when the time comes. CycleGear had a 25% off sale at there store. Grabbed em.
11K is impressivo even with conservative (proper) street riding. I bet you're looking forward to those PR 2's. I put on BT016 a few months back and I was surprised at how slippery they were before a quick scrub. The rear slipped several inches on a dry surface in the middle of a slow turn, so heads up.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...n_new_tires%3F
Old 10-19-2009, 05:47 AM   #39
mykel_jm

Send a message via Yahoo to mykel_jm

When changing the plugs on the 599, do I have to set the gap on the plug?

"Done with mods forever... muahahahaha!!!"
mykel_jm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #40
JHenley17

Send a message via AIM to JHenley17

It's a good idea to check it before you install them. They'll likely be within spec, but it takes 2 seconds to check them and it's the only way you can be completely positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitos_92 View Post
Dude. You could say your mom has a dismal power/weight ratio, but I ride her year-round, too.
JHenley17 is offline   Reply With Quote