Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Welcome to the new Honda 599 Forum

Welcome to the new Honda 599 Forum Everyone is welcome. Please take a moment to introduce yourself.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
sharkirule

Default Another 599 rider

Well as im writing this, im still not the proud owner of a 599, but i will be in ONE hour. Been riding for 2 years now and had a honda rebel and a kawasaki ninja 500, now im moving up.

Been on this forum for a while now, but wanted to write something when i was really getting one.

See you guys on the site
sharkirule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
playhockeyeh

Welcome!

'06 Honda 599 | '03 Yamaha FJR1300 (Sold) | '07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold) | '03 Yamaha TT-R230 (Sold)
playhockeyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Alex
Administrator

Congrats on your purchase! and

Your screen name wouldn't have anything to do with the San Jose Sharks, would it? You should fill in your location in your profile - it'll help you connect with other people from your area.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
markv

Send a message via MSN to markv

Welcome! Good for you taking a sensible route to 599 ownership. I'm having a heavy debate currently with a co-worker who has never driven a stick car let alone lifted a leg over a bike and is planning to buy a new ZX-6R.
- 2007 Honda Jazz CHF50 (daughters ride)
- 2009 Pontiac Vibe
markv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
sharkirule

WOW!!!!!!!! Bought the bike, amazing!!

Cant even compare to my ninja 500. I am so comfortable on it, its amazing. And due to the fact that i am from France, i love that bike, they are everywhere over there.
The only thing that i have to get used to is the hard turns, i found it more difficult to turn and go into corners, but that i will get used to.

And to answer a question, no i am not part of the shark group from san diego or something. Im just in Miami.

Anyways, see you all on the site
Old 08-06-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
Super Sneaky Steve

Welcome new guy!

I used to have an EX500 too. The 500 will turn with less effort because the tires are thinner. Stock rear I think was 130 (mine was 150) and the 599 has a 180.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:02 AM   #7
sharkirule

oh ok. thanks for the info

French guy in Miami.........with a 2004 Honda 599
Old 08-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
yeroC

Congrats French guy!! Once you get used to it you'll see the 599 can carve like
fine hot cutlery through room temperature butter.

"Hey, wanna be our bitches, bitches?" - Creakinbones and joeyvdb

"Where's the keyboards, the guitars, the tamborines?? You know, the stuff that white people like. Something badass like, I dunno, REO Speedwagon or something.." - Carl, from ATHF
yeroC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
playhockeyeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by markv
Welcome! Good for you taking a sensible route to 599 ownership. I'm having a heavy debate currently with a co-worker who has never driven a stick car let alone lifted a leg over a bike and is planning to buy a new ZX-6R.
markv, I'd show your friend this video to help discourage him from buying a super sport for his first bike (especially a brand new one)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4

'06 Honda 599 | '03 Yamaha FJR1300 (Sold) | '07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold) | '03 Yamaha TT-R230 (Sold)
Old 08-12-2008, 05:48 AM   #10
markv

Send a message via MSN to markv

Thanks Brian I'll try it but I've just about given up. It doesn't help when you go to the store with him and guide hime toward more suitable bikes, still 600's perhaps such as SV650/FZ6 etc (I've totally given up on suggesting GS500 or EX500) and the salesman says "you don't want that it's a bitches bike". Versions of that have happened multiple times although that was the most extreme. Also "you'll be bored with it in a week" and "you need something you can grow into". So frustrating.
- 2007 Honda Jazz CHF50 (daughters ride)
- 2009 Pontiac Vibe
markv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:10 AM   #11
carlitos_92

Quote:
It doesn't help when you go to the store with him and guide hime toward more suitable bikes, still 600's perhaps such as SV650/FZ6 etc (I've totally given up on suggesting GS500 or EX500) and the salesman says "you don't want that it's a bitches bike".
Have you run out of dealers yet? I'd pass on any jerk who throws those lines out there. Especially since all the major motorcycle publications agree that bikes like the Ninja 250 are plenty of fun for a wide range of skill levels.

Whereas the bike mags have little vested interest, it's a win-win for the salesman: Besides selling him $2-3K of bike he doesn't need, if your buddy totals his bike (and isn't scared witless afterwards), the salesman gets to sell him a second bike. That's just wrong.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #12
370steve

Quote:
markv, I'd show your friend this video to help discourage him from buying a super sport for his first bike (especially a brand new one)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4
To be fair to the guy, Too big an application of the twist grip on ANY bike with new/unscrubbed rubber will probably end up the same way!!!!!! Sports bike or naked

Lesson is to "bed those tyres in" first

PS welcome mate
Old 08-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #13
playhockeyeh

Quote:
Thanks Brian I'll try it but I've just about given up. It doesn't help when you go to the store with him and guide hime toward more suitable bikes, still 600's perhaps such as SV650/FZ6 etc (I've totally given up on suggesting GS500 or EX500) and the salesman says "you don't want that it's a bitches bike". Versions of that have happened multiple times although that was the most extreme. Also "you'll be bored with it in a week" and "you need something you can grow into". So frustrating.
I wouldn't give up on your friend. I would remind him that it's not that difficult to sell used bikes and upgrade with another new or used one. They tried to talk me out of my first street bike, the Ninja 250, but I'm glad I started out on that bike. It was plenty fun for me and I didn't have to be scared of the throttle. Were they right? Did I out grow it? Absolutely. But the learning experience was well worth buying a beginner bike (since, hey, I was a beginner).

Here's another of my favorite videos... It still amazes me how people will try to ride a motorcycle without first understanding the basic controls!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNh0ba2-X_8