Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Welcome to the new Honda 599 Forum

Welcome to the new Honda 599 Forum Everyone is welcome. Please take a moment to introduce yourself.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
LedZep

Default CA '04 599 Checking in

Hello all,

Found this forum through the Hornet's Nest and thought I would introduce myself. I just bought a 2004 yellow 599 in December and love it so far! It is my first bike and I am trying to find fellow owners to gain advice/knowledge from.
I live in Santa Monica and have seen and exchanged waves with a few other 599s riding around. Are there any local clubs/forums?

That's all I really have for now,

Safe riding,
Josh
LedZep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
djamalt

Default Re: CA '04 599 Checking in

Glad to have another LA head on the forum. You'll see a 599 or 919 quite a bit out here actually if you keep your eyes peeled, especially up in the canyons.

We have yet to have a big group ride. So far the most we've had was 3 members from the forum in on an LA ride. Maybe this year we'll get a bonafide swarm going. I have seen a pack of 919s on a few occasions though, so maybe there is hope.
djamalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
yeroC

Awesome!! Welcome to the forum family and the yellow599 gang. We da best!!!
I know what it looks like but post a pic anyway when you get a chance. Be forewarned the "other" color 599s are haters and hate us because of our yellow freedom.

"Hey, wanna be our bitches, bitches?" - Creakinbones and joeyvdb

"Where's the keyboards, the guitars, the tamborines?? You know, the stuff that white people like. Something badass like, I dunno, REO Speedwagon or something.." - Carl, from ATHF
yeroC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Alex
Administrator

Congrats on your purchase and to the forum!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
drew

Welcome aboard! I see your taste in bikes is as good as your taste in music. Ramble On + warm fall day + 599 = perfect!
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
a4naught

Smile Re: CA '04 599 Checking in

Another SoCal minion! Welcome!

a4naught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:00 AM   #7
Barracuda

Send a message via ICQ to Barracuda

Hi!Welcome to the our Club!
Wow,yellow gang...
Is any asfalt grey here for ours gang
Ride safe!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 05:16 AM   #8
vic

Congratulations. Enjoy it and ride safe.
GSG-Moto frame sliders | Rizoma bar | Pazzo short levers | Rizoma Radial Naked | Rizoma Zero-11 with Magic Blinker | PIAA 004XT auxiliary lights | Artfibras Undertail & Hugger

Flickr Set
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
LedZep

Great to see there are so many fellow Hornets here! I'll post a pic of the bike when I figure out how (not so good at this whole internet thing). I did the canyons with it for the first time on Monday and have a couple pics from that. It was an amazing ride. The only question I really have is that the previous owner had kept it uncovered near the ocean at one point. This caused some pitting, mainly cosmetic except on the front forks. I've been watching them carefully and they aren't leaking fluid yet, but I am worried about damage to the seals. Would this be something I should consider replacing before there is evidence of damage?
Old 01-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #10
carl

Welcome to the forum

Good to see one more socal rider on here. Join the So Cal group, it'd be nice to set up a ride/meet for us left-coasters, there seems to be quite a few of us now...

Which canyons did you ride?

Post pics of the pitting on your forks and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of opinions

cheers,
Carl.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
LedZep

Alright so here should be some pics from this last weekend in the canyons. I was riding with my cousin (that's his Ducati 999S in the pics) who knows the areas well. To answer Carl's question, we headed up Las Flores from the PCH and then hit Mulholland, the Rock Store and a couple of awesome two lane side roads before going up to Fort Mugu. Needless to say it was an incredible first time in the canyons and the Hornet really enjoyed it. Let me know if the pics don't work.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
carl

Nice pics, it looks like you picked a nice day to ride.

Nothing like the So Cal winters, right!
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
carlitos_92

Led,
Please make more posts...

See, every time I see your handle, Zeppelin pops into my head. It was "Ramble On," but today it's "Nobody's Fault But Mine."

Good stuff. Oh yeah...and welcome aboard.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #14
n2citrus

Send a message via Yahoo to n2citrus

Welcome aboard Josh! I promise you 2009 is the year of the big West Coast swarm, it will happen.

-Michael

P.S. Go asphalt!

"For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible."

"Real happiness lies in the completion of work using your own brains and skills"
n2citrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #15
LeatherWings

Welcome fellow SoCal rider!

I have some rust pitting on my forks and lower triple clamps from the previous owner(s). If it's not terribly bad and long as you wipe the humid dirty build-up off your forks and stuff after every canyon ride, you will probably be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2citrus
Welcome aboard Josh! I promise you 2009 is the year of the big West Coast swarm, it will happen.

-Michael
Yeah! c'mon all you ppl, stop being lame-o's and let's make it happen!

BARBARIANS AT THE GATE
batgband.com
facebook.com/batgband
LeatherWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:49 AM   #16
LeatherWings

I don't take this seriously, but it's interesting and slightly creepy:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/stairway

I was not around in the 60's and 70's, but I did see a Page & Plant concert in like 1999 or so. Page teased the crowd by playing just the first 5 notes of Stairway.

BARBARIANS AT THE GATE
batgband.com
facebook.com/batgband
LeatherWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:09 AM   #17
carlitos_92

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherWings View Post

I was not around in the 60's and 70's, but I did see a Page & Plant concert in like 1999 or so. Page teased the crowd by playing just the first 5 notes of Stairway.
IMHO rock music has always been about rebellion and sin from the beginning, since before the Beatles. So even if Led Zeppelin did worship satan and make a deal with the devil, that would've only made them cooler.
Look at acts like Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, and Slayer... They don't really worship the devil, but they knew people would be fascinated by the idea. Predominantly christian society or not, that stuff sells in the USA.

When I was in junior high ('82 or somewhere in there) my parents dragged me to a evangelical presentation where they pointed out the evilness of rock music. They targeted everybody: Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Queen, AC/DC, Journey, KISS, Judas Priest, REO Speedwagon, Ozzy, even the Beatles. All of them were supposedly satan-worshippers, homosexuals, drug addicts, perverts, or all of the above. Oh, what I'd give to have a video of that now...
Old 01-29-2009, 07:10 AM   #18
yeroC

Nice shot LedZep. I envy yous guys scenery.

"Where's the keyboards, the guitars, the tamborines?? You know, the stuff that white people like. Something badass like, I dunno, REO Speedwagon or something.." - Carl, from ATHF
Old 01-29-2009, 07:15 AM   #19
yeroC

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitos_92 View Post

When I was in junior high ('82 or somewhere in there) my parents dragged me to a evangelical presentation where they pointed out the evilness of rock music. They targeted everybody: Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Queen, AC/DC, Journey, KISS, Judas Priest, REO Speedwagon, Ozzy, even the Beatles. All of them were supposedly satan-worshippers, homosexuals, drug addicts, perverts, or all of the above. Oh, what I'd give to have a video of that now...
Uh...judging by that list, seems they were mostly right..
And i would venture to say that America's psuedo(psycho) puritan, repressive ideals are what led to the popularity of and appeal/attraction to "devil music". Yep, rebellion.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:59 PM   #20
LedZep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherWings View Post

That's awesome! It reminds me of the stand up routine Bill Hicks used to do.
I grew up listening to 'Stones, Clapton and Zeppelin and still predominantly listen to rock, blues and metal. Its just amazing music to me, satanism or no-satanism.

As for the weather, I recently moved here from Wisconsin, so I am loving this so-called 'winter'. The canyon ride was great too since I went on MLK Day and it was not overly crowded so my newbie-ass didn't hold anybody up.

I'd be up for doing some smaller scale rides if we can't get this 'swarm' together. I am still learning (+700 miles on the Hornet) and so am not too aggressive of a rider yet.

I've been wiping down the forks and everything else on the bike, the previous owner actually sanded the pitting off of the forks. I'll post pics soon instead of trying to describe it.