Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Welcome to the new Honda 599 Forum

Welcome to the new Honda 599 Forum Everyone is welcome. Please take a moment to introduce yourself.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
2legit2quit

Default 04 599 from Chicago

What's up guys? I'm new to the site and also a first time rider. I've always wanted a bike, but never trusted myself with one. I think I'm now mature enough to own one... hopefully .

I just bought a black 2004 599, I actually don't even have it yet, I'm picking it up tomorrow! I'm really excited and don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight even though I'm not going to be able to ride it for quite some time due to the great Chicago weather.

I've signed up for a riding class (Motorcycle Riding School) the first weekend of April and I'm reading Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David L. Hough to be better prepared for my first ride. Any advice you guys can give a noob?

Thanks
2legit2quit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
IT_guy

Send a message via AIM to IT_guy Send a message via Yahoo to IT_guy
Default Re: 04 599 from Chicago

advice? well the motorcycle class is a very good start. Take it easy for a while once you get your license, and have fun.
Motrax bar end mirrors
Rizoma grab handle covers
Color matched side panels
IT_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
robkb

Exclamation For Real...

Stand on the hood of your car and do a "face plant" into the driveway. Determine what you would need to WEAR in order for such an experience to be... less painful.
Wear that kind of stuff when you ride the 599.
Everything else is just fun.

Last edited by robkb; 02-27-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: When I twist the throttle real hard, I can't let go!!! Beware.
robkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
Mitch

Default Re: For Real...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkb View Post
Stand on the hood of your car and do a "face plant" into the driveway. Determine what you would need to WEAR in order for such an experience to be... less painful.
Wear that kind of stuff when you ride the 599.
I cannot stress enough what Rob has said here. It took one accident to convince me that I should wear my gear all the time. Actually, it took 2 months of healing to convince me, but let's not split hairs.

If you think you might not want to wear all the gear (pants, boots, jacket, gloves, helmet), I would suggest finding the gear you think is the COOLEST. This ends up being the reason why people don't wear gear in the first place. Because the cheap shit they bought initially just isn't COOL enough. I wasn't wearing my pants because they didn't fit right and looked stupid, and then I got in my accident, fucked up my leg, and went out and bought pants that I actually liked, looked nice, and fit well. Now I wear my pants, boots, jacket, gloves, and helmet every time.

If you don't, you'll eventually find yourself posting "I should have been wearing my <whatever>, but I wasn't. Now my <place covered by whatever> is <broken, bleeding, limp, missing, etc>."

Buy gear you will like wearing, and that will make you wear it every time.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
carlitos_92

Default Re: For Real...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchAnstey View Post
If you don't, you'll eventually find yourself posting "I should have been wearing my <whatever>, but I wasn't. Now my <place covered by whatever> is <broken, bleeding, limp, missing, etc>."
Ditto. Wear the gear.

The class is a great start.

And that gauge on the bike that goes up to 13? I would not wind it past about "7" until you know how to aim that sucker.

Welcome, congrats, and good luck.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
2legit2quit

Thanks for all the input. Trust me, I WILL be wearing ALL of my gear when I ride. I'm not going to be one of those guys just riding around in a t-shirt.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
zim

Welcome to the site, and congrats on the new bike, I think you're going to like it. also glad to hear you're not going to be one of those people I see here in MO every summer, with the 600 dollar Arai on the noggin, but wearing a tank top , shorts and flip flops. I kid you not.
Take care, keep the rubber side down !!
zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
yeroC

All good advice!! The best advice is, after you've learned the machine and you're all geared up, have FUN!!

Welcome and keep us posted.

"Hey, wanna be our bitches, bitches?" - Creakinbones and joeyvdb

"Where's the keyboards, the guitars, the tamborines?? You know, the stuff that white people like. Something badass like, I dunno, REO Speedwagon or something.." - Carl, from ATHF
yeroC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
djamalt

I don't care where in Chicago you are, how much gas is in your tank, how many cigarettes are left in your pack, how dark it is, and and whether or not you're wearing sun glasses - do not try to get on your 599 and outrun the Good Ol Boys, the Nazis, The Illinois State Police, the US Army and the Feds without wearing all your gear!
djamalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
GuyD

I've been in Chicago once and I had one of my best memories and one of my worst memories of my life all in one weekend. So wear your gear and buy it right the first time too.

I totalled my 599 so no muppet for me!

My Old Bike: http://www.honda599.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6190
GuyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
Alex
Administrator

Looks like you're starting the experience with the right steps. Keep it up and take it slow while you learn.

to the forum!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:21 AM   #12
egdod

hi the only advice i would give is take it easy when you get your bike. you will find your confidence will build in the next month or so. this is prolly the most dangerous time because as your confidence builds your speeds will increase, and if anything happens while riding your brain will panic and lock up. Also dont get suckered into playing catch up with faster riders go at ur own pace ok so what if you arrive a little later gives them the chance to get the coffee's in doesnt it!!
egdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
Super Sneaky Steve

MC Hammer rules!
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #14
vic

Just a few bullet points:
- have fun
- take it easy and stay within your skill limits
- look ahead, the bike goes where you look
- assume you are invisible
- take a look at the power and torque graphs to foresee how the bike will react at different RPMs. Specially when (only when you feel comfortable) you go up to 7K, when she'll kick you in the ass, and at 11K, when she'll try to leave you behind.

I'm sure that he book and the MSF instructors will help you a lot, you're on the right way.
GSG-Moto frame sliders | Rizoma bar | Pazzo short levers | Rizoma Radial Naked | Rizoma Zero-11 with Magic Blinker | PIAA 004XT auxiliary lights | Artfibras Undertail & Hugger

Flickr Set
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #15
2legit2quit

Thanks everyone for all the tips and pointers. I'm really happy that I went with the 599 and can't wait until it gets a little warmer.

I'm currently in search for some gear, helmet, gloves, jacket, boots... pants? I wasn't planning on buying any leather pants, but after doing some research it seems that it's a good idea to wear some. Afterall, I'd rather get weird looks for wearing leather pants than losing skin from road rash.

So far my top choice is the Icon Automag pants. Any positive/negative feedback on these or any other suggestions?
Old 03-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
weeman

welcome m8 in similar position myself,all the advice posted sounds good take your time and enjoy it
weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #17
Barracuda

Send a message via ICQ to Barracuda

Welcome !!!