Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Welcome to the new Honda 599 Forum

Welcome to the new Honda 599 Forum Everyone is welcome. Please take a moment to introduce yourself.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Lucychromosome

Default Another Texan

well after 5 years of riding I happened upon my 599.. first started on a 100cc 2-stroke scoot...got a motorcycle after than, a 250 Virago. Started searching for a standard sport bike was about to test ride a Suzuki Savage and got a "can't pass this up" deal on a 2006 Honda 599.

just one problem.. have not been able to ride the bike without taking the seat off! 5'3 28 inch inseam. I just shaved my seat.. and I can tell you this much height challenged people... let's just say take an inch of foam out of the center and shave the sides.. that's all you are getting no matter how much further you want to go.. (least in my situation)..

At this point I can now rock on the balls of my feet and am only concerned now about hills (there are lots of them and gravel)..there will be lots of practicing up and down my road till I get this down!

But I still want to get it down at least another 1 to 1 1/2 .. just in texas we have lots of inclines I don't want to attempt with one foot!

Hope to turn this into a bike for long distances since no way am I gettin on a V-strom or 800 lb touring bike(not that I Wouldn't it's just impossible).. and I figured I didn't have to resort to a cruiser..

Glad to meet you guys n gals... I love to work on my bikes too so hope to find out some tips and tricks from ya
Lucychromosome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Clapracer

Default Re: Another Texan

First off,

Secondly,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucychromosome View Post
I just shaved my seat..
Since you just threw it out there like that, I think you'll be, um, well recieved around here.
PROUD TO SAY I NO LONGER HAVE TO RIDE A HONDA HORNET
Clapracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
skrogg

Send a message via MSN to skrogg

welcome!
skrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:23 AM   #4
Creakinbones

. Have you tried dropping the shock preload onto it's lowest(softest) setting and dropping the front through the forks a similar amount and seen what it's like. Wasn't there a lowering kit for the bike? or am I thinking of something else?

Last edited by Creakinbones; 02-11-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Creakinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Lucychromosome

Talking Re: Another Texan

don't know how to raise forks (which would drop it ?) .. shock is on it's lowest setting at the moment. Still researching the fork aspect haven't been able to find much visual information for myself and nothing in the manual but rear shock.

Lowering kit could get you from 1/2 to 1 inch. Metisse I believe for 175. Might need to bring that to my mechanic cause suspension is one thing I would need more equipment (stands) to do.

I met a woman who is 5'0 has a 919 and got someone to re-build her shock in the back! Everyone I talk to says it isn't possible .. maybe it's who you know?
I would like to consider my cheaper options before attempting to play with a new shock... $$$$$
Old 02-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
DraftsmanTX

Where in TX?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Clapracer

Have a friend loosen the pinch bolts on the fork tubes where they run through the triple clamps, and slide them up so there is more fork protruding through the top clamp. It's important (for obvious reasons) that they are protruding through equal amounts on each tube.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
DH919

Send a message via AIM to DH919 Send a message via Yahoo to DH919

Welcome! from texas? Don't worry we wont hold it against you...

"If yer workin on a bike and are having to use a lot of strength you've probably got the wrong tool and you're about to hurt yourself or break something." - Nelson at Honda of Cookeville, TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapracer View Post
Let me introduce you to my taint. It's all sweaty and nasty from having a fever and chills all day yesterday, so it's just about prime for your enjoyment.
DH919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #9
Creakinbones

I know lasses who use/have used goth and/or military boots to get an extra half to one inch of leg length on a bike. I think they look great anyway, so I'm biased. Dunno if I'm helping now or not lol.

http://www.pennangalan.co.uk/index.php?bn=New Rock&f=1

Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Lucychromosome

Well despite the forks being slid.. I messed with the seat a bit more and I'm actually going to add some better stuff to the center (closed-cell backpacking pad).
Which I have been documenting a bit with photos and once I'm done I can put it up for visuals in my album.

But I rode it around my parking lot for a while.. realized unless I have to push the thing uphill with just my legs.. I can swing riding it comfortably enough.

Took it out for a spin and I don't know if I even want to ride my cruiser ever again.

Boots will be considered .. will try riding with the Docs I have to see how the shifting is affected.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Lucychromosome; 02-13-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
Darrell41653

PICS!!!!! Or
"Horsepower is like dick size; there is no such thing as "too much". Granted, you may never use all that you've got, but it sure feels good knowing that you've got it in your pocket, available to whip it out and use it anytime you want to. Or need to, even if just to win a bet ..."
Darrell41653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
OnAnySunday

hello
Old 02-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
Lucychromosome

aight heres my reach with seat mod!

feets down.jpg
Old 02-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #14
Creakinbones

That looks okay to me tbh. I think the more time you have on the bike, the less it will be an issue. Lasses I know who have the same problem have eventually just adapted, i.e they watch for which way the road is sloping and always put their foot down on the 'short' side, even if it means they can't use their footbrake at a stop.

The pic makes it look like you are sitting to the back of the seat, where it is a little wider. Maybe try scrunching towards the tank a little more, it should help with balancing when stationary, even though you might feel a little scrunched.

Hope that helps, as I say, it looks okay anyway.

Last edited by Creakinbones; 02-27-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Creakinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
socaln8tv

i have the same issues as you! i am shopping for some new boots bc the ones i have now really arent true riding boots. but the pic you show there looks pretty good. howz it feel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucychromosome View Post
aight heres my reach with seat mod!

Attachment 4315
socaln8tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #16
Alex 599

Welcome aboard!

High heels? Thinking six inch spikes ;-P
Alex 599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #17
Lucychromosome

I hate heels!! haha you try walking in them my stout german ass won't wear em! Better(HIGHER) boots are being looked for at the moment though as I don't even really have riding shoes anyways.

Well my passenger loves the setup compared the rickety shaky ass Virago..this thing is smooth.

Only complaint is that I totally hit legs on my pegs when walking the bike..not a deal breaker considering the smile on my face every time I get off the bike.

My only issue thus far is walking the bike backwards in parking situations.. just out of habit I keep doing it instead of re-thinking how to park.

I am going to take the bike in for a check-up soon (previous owner suggested it cause it hasn't been inspected in a while) and will discuss a Metisse Lowering link which is the only thing you can do short of a new shock. As of right now it's not super important but it's a cheaper alternative to a 500/800 dollar shock and it might help with getting one foot flat at least.

Don't know if anyone else has gone this route to lower but some girls that ride around here know a mad scientist who can re-make and re-fill the stock shock into an adjustable one. Sounds crazy but she has a few thousand miles on hers and no problems with it. I know a guy who works on track bike suspensions he claims that is impossible. I've seen the modified shock and sat flat footed on her 919 so I know it's not a dream.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
Clapracer

I might be wrong, but I don't think a lowering link is offered for the 599. It has no linkage at the shock.

EDIT: Just found it on whaccessories.com. Curious as to how it works though.

Last edited by Clapracer; 02-28-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
tomacana

A possible solution to short legs.
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv...soiro1_500.jpg

Tippy Toes or is it Anti-Tippy Toes?
tomacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #20
Alex 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomacana View Post
A possible solution to short legs.
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv...soiro1_500.jpg

Tippy Toes or is it Anti-Tippy Toes?
That's just weird. I don't even want to know how you found that...
Alex 599 is offline   Reply With Quote