Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Welcome to the new Honda 599 Forum

Welcome to the new Honda 599 Forum Everyone is welcome. Please take a moment to introduce yourself.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #21
Clapracer

Default Re: Another Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomacana View Post
A possible solution to short legs.
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv...soiro1_500.jpg

Tippy Toes or is it Anti-Tippy Toes?
I'll bet every member of KISS owns a black pair....
PROUD TO SAY I NO LONGER HAVE TO RIDE A HONDA HORNET
Clapracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #22
dabinche

check your preload on the rear shock. If it is too firm the rear will be higher.

Also a way to lose 1/2" total bike height is by going with lower profile tires. I run 120/60 and 160/60 on mine and it dropped the bike down at least 1/2". I did that for more performance: lighter tires means quicker acceleration/braking and turning; smaller diameter wheels means lower gearing for more acceleration/torque, increase in leverage for brakes. A welcome side effect is that it lowers the bike a little. The down side is that the gearing/speedo is more off and if you are a an agressive rider (ie knee dragger) then you might have a little less leaning angle clearance.
dabinche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #23
JBarx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabinche View Post
Also a way to lose 1/2" total bike height is by going with lower profile tires. I run 120/60 and 160/60 on mine and it dropped the bike down at least 1/2".
Also changes your steering geometry, rake and trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabinche View Post
lighter tires means quicker acceleration/braking and turning; smaller diameter wheels means lower gearing for more acceleration/torque, increase in leverage for brakes.
Bit of a stretch, no? I understand it's mathematically correct, but that's really scratching and clawing there.

You could just get Michelin Power series tires with "light tire" technology or whatever. They claim 2-lb reduction per tire. I'll bet that's more than the size change is doing for you.
Spring Swarm 2010 Survivor
Fall Swarm 2010 Survivor
Spring Swarm 2011 Survivor
Fall Swarm 2011 Survivor
Spring Swarm 2012 Survivor
"I'm aboot to boost a noot in you moote!"
JBarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #24
dabinche

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarx View Post
Also changes your steering geometry, rake and trail.

Bit of a stretch, no? I understand it's mathematically correct, but that's really scratching and clawing there.

You could just get Michelin Power series tires with "light tire" technology or whatever. They claim 2-lb reduction per tire. I'll bet that's more than the size change is doing for you.
No real change in geometry because you are not changing the relations of the suspension to the frame...it is like putting larger rims with a lower profile on a car the suspension stays the same. Yeah the ride got slightly rougher, mostly felt it up front.

When you go lighter tires you don't notice much of a change but when you go back to heavier you will feel it more. Try it on your bike(s) sometime and if you are familiar with your bike enough you will feel that difference. Changing size actually took off about a pound off each end. And the first thing that I notice was the feel of stronger brakes..it was the largest difference in feel compared to anything else. I was originally gonna go with the power pures but the PR2 last me 12k miles..can't beat that.

This tire size change was originally done to experiment and I like the results so much that I'm on my second set.
dabinche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #25
Lucychromosome

The lowering link is strange it's not a link at all in fact it's more like a triangle that fits at the top of the shock. Not sure how it works which is why I wanted to talk to my bike mech. Shocks are new to me.. I've done quite a bit of work on my previous bikes but never messed with suspension or electrical stuff.

My Shock is on a 1 lowest setting at the moment. I am probably around 160 lbs.

Tires are something to consider but it's going to be down to one or the other (link vs. tire) I can't plop down much at a time.. no more than 300 at the moment. And I think the 1/2 is all that either will give.

Maybe the Kiss Boots will be the cheaper option haha
Lucychromosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #26
Creakinbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucychromosome View Post
The lowering link is strange it's not a link at all in fact it's more like a triangle that fits at the top of the shock.
It would be interesting to see what it looks like, Lucy.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #27
Lucychromosome

http://www.streetfightersinc.com/ima...eringLink5.jpg

ok well I was wrong another site that was selling the Metisse Parts had every type of suspension lowering they offer and it showed the 599 as a triangle like apparatus.. when it looks to be actually just a shorter piece where the shock bolts onto the swingarm.. (at least I am assuming)

have seen others have drilled a hole in their OEM shock link to shorten it.. same idea

This gives you a whopping 35mm or 1.38 inches.

Last edited by Lucychromosome; 03-06-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: adding extra info
Lucychromosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #28
Asphalt_in_SF

Welcome, good job on the seat mod.
Asphalt_in_SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #29
VinC

Welcome!