Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Accessories and Modifications

Accessories and Modifications Ah the fun of enhancing your motorcycle. Here you will find retailers and advice.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #1
JHenley17

Send a message via AIM to JHenley17
Default Is it possible...

...to install a manual override for the radiator fans? I'd like to keep the automatic on and off, but I pull up to a lot of lights knowing that I'm going to be sitting until it hits 220, at which point it will either continue to slowly rise as the days get hotter or if it's cool enough, drop back down to 210, fans off, rise again, then on again. Anyhow, I'd like to keep it from heating up so fast if I know it's going to happen, and when it's really hot, it would be nice to avoid the 230s if at all possible.
JHenley17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
Zoomnbyu

You could wire a loop in that bypasses the cooling sensor. The loop would have it's own switch and would only overide the cooling fan sensor when you flip the switch on. It would be a very easy mod as long as the cooling sensor is a 2 wire design (I don't remember if it is). You'd simply loop that circuit before and after the switch.

While you will better control the temp range, do you really want to? It already sucks as it is when it is warm out and that fan cuts on and blows more hot air up on you.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Super Sneaky Steve

What a lot of guys do on the YZF600R is add a second fan that you can control with a switch. For those extra hot times.

If you check their forums you can find out how they do it.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
JHenley17

That sounds cool, but we've already got two fans... I don't know if a third will fit in there. I'll check that out, though. If not, I'll probably give the switch a try. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
cobra671

Try this out.

[img][/img]
cobra671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
pricelister

Hmmmm. I have enough human error at the controls. I think I'll keep trusting my engine to those funny Japanese guys who seem to know a thing or two about engines.

If you're going to try serial killing, do it properly. Don't just kill 'em. Kill 'em, fuck 'em, and eat 'em. If I was a judge and you came to me and you'd killed twenty people, I'd say, "Did you kill'em, fuck'em and eat 'em?" and you said, "No," I'd say "Get out of my fuckin' courtroom." Ricky Gervais
pricelister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #7
JHenley17

Well, I'm not grinding my own camshafts or anything like that, I'm just turning a fan on before it gets to the upper end of its safe running temp range, and sitting still in traffic is not quite the busiest time of my rides. I can see why this wouldn't be high on anyone's priority list, but it really bothers me when the temp climbs... which is probably why auto manufacturers design their gauges to stay centered until it really gets unsafe...
Old 05-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
rndthought

3 years in in FL and I aint never paid in no mind.

Just make sure you remember to unbypas it when you stop or else...
Old 05-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
Zoomnbyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHenley17
I'm just turning a fan on before it gets to the upper end of its safe running temp range, and sitting still in traffic is not quite the busiest time of my rides. I can see why this wouldn't be high on anyone's priority list, but it really bothers me when the temp climbs... which is probably why auto manufacturers design their gauges to stay centered until it really gets unsafe...
First, it is cutting on well before the unsafe range (that would likely be around 240-250F!). Now, if you still want it to cut on sooner there may be a way to mod it. I had seen similar stuff in my Mazda 6 forum. (clink link: http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.ph...&hl=fan+sensor) This type of mod would only apply if we have a modulated circuit on our bikes. I think(?), though, that our fan is controlled by a simple sensor switch that trips a relay on at around 220F. One solution could be to find a sensor from another Honda that will screw in the radiator that has a different setting...say around 190ish.

You would need to see the schematic from the shop manual for our bike to see what you could do. You may be able to find a people friendly tech that would work with you to come up with something. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
G00se

Send a message via MSN to G00se

Even if the stock fan came on earlier do you think it would really be able to keep the engine below 220ish?

I bet the fans even if they were engaged at say 190ish i bet the temp would still climb if you were sitting in traffic.

The amount of air the fan puts out vs the wind when you're at even 35mph is a HUGE difference.

Adding another fan might help out but if you're sitting their long enough even with the fan engaging at 190 i bet it will get to 220, and you'll be wearing out your fan because it will come on when it doesn't need to.
G00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
JHenley17

I'm sure it would still get up if I sat long enough, but it wouldn't get quite as high. The rate at which the temp climbs slows down dramatically once the fan comes on, so instead of getting into the 230s on the hot days, I could keep it down in the teens or 20s. I admit, I know it's not as big of a deal as I make it out to be, and it's not something I'm going to throw a whole lot of effort into (the bypass loop is simple enough and gets the job done without any risks if I'm negligent), but it's just one of those things that just bother me.

I'm not trying to get 35 MPH worth of airflow out of my fans...
Old 12-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #12
Michael A Wong

Default Re: Is it possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHenley17 View Post
...to install a manual override for the radiator fans? I'd like to keep the automatic on and off, but I pull up to a lot of lights knowing that I'm going to be sitting until it hits 220, at which point it will either continue to slowly rise as the days get hotter or if it's cool enough, drop back down to 210, fans off, rise again, then on again. Anyhow, I'd like to keep it from heating up so fast if I know it's going to happen, and when it's really hot, it would be nice to avoid the 230s if at all possible.
I know this is an old thread but it got me thinking. Is there a thermastat that will kick in at a cooler temperature?
Michael A Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #13
Asphalt_in_SF

Supposedly the CBR600RR thermostat activates the fan at a lower temp than the Hornet 600. I thought about doing the same thing until I found out the Hornet's fan was around $400 so less where and tear on the fan is a good thing as I would not want to pay to replace the stocker. Lane splitting is legal is CA for that exact reason, so bikes don't overheat. (Not as much anyway.)

Last edited by Asphalt_in_SF; 12-30-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Asphalt_in_SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #14
DH919

Send a message via AIM to DH919 Send a message via Yahoo to DH919

The auto-fan switch on my Dad's '77 wing kept going on, to he bypassed it with a switch, when the engine gets to a certain temp, he turns it on, and just leaves it on. In the Summer it works just fine, the fan is just always running. Never had any problems with it getting to hot, or cooling down to much... Just saying...

"If yer workin on a bike and are having to use a lot of strength you've probably got the wrong tool and you're about to hurt yourself or break something." - Nelson at Honda of Cookeville, TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapracer View Post
Let me introduce you to my taint. It's all sweaty and nasty from having a fever and chills all day yesterday, so it's just about prime for your enjoyment.
DH919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #15
Clapracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndthought View Post

Just make sure you remember to unbypas it when you stop or else...
I think he's wanting to bypass the fan "on", so if he did forget, it wouldn't hurt anything.
PROUD TO SAY I NO LONGER HAVE TO RIDE A HONDA HORNET
Clapracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #16
mitsurugi

Quote:
That sounds cool, but we've already got two fans... I don't know if a third will fit in there. I'll check that out, though. If not, I'll probably give the switch a try. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure that I only have one fan on my 06. Where's your second fan?
mitsurugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #17
JHenley17

I thought there were two, but there is only one... it was a bit of a surprise to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitos_92 View Post
Dude. You could say your mom has a dismal power/weight ratio, but I ride her year-round, too.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #18
carlitos_92

Quote:
I thought there were two, but there is only one... it was a bit of a surprise to me.
It's cool... you were just a kid back then.

But fo reals: I got two radiators, and even I only get one fan.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #19
Clapracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitos_92 View Post
It's cool... you were just a kid back then.

But fo reals: I got two radiators, and even I only get one fan.
Well, that's part of the "I ride Wonderwoman's bike stigma." your bonus is linked brakes and dismal power/weight ratio. Good day, sir.
PROUD TO SAY I NO LONGER HAVE TO RIDE A HONDA HORNET
Clapracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:29 AM   #20
carlitos_92

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Well, that's part of the "I ride Wonderwoman's bike stigma." your bonus is linked brakes and dismal power/weight ratio. Good day, sir.
Dude. You could say your mom has a dismal power/weight ratio, but I ride her year-round, too.