Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Repair and Maintenance

Repair and Maintenance Questions and answers about repairing and maintaining your beloved Hornet.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
dreygata

Default Killed my Hornet :(

About 6 months ago, I had a bad accident on the hornet. Accidentally blew a corner, left handle bar end caught a rock wall and I ended up flipping (broke my wrist and left middle finger, sprained my hip, but no rash). I've already beat myself up over my error (I had video footage of it all) and studied the hell out of the footage to learn from my mistakes. But this is about the bike itself.

Tank is horribly dented, gauges are destroyed, bar is bent, but the worst is that the bike slide belly first into a tree or rock, shattering the oil pan and damaging what looks to be about 2 inches of the block along with flattening one of the headers.

At this point, I'm still weighing what to do about the bike. Part of me wants to just try parting it out, as most of the other components are fine, with the engine, header, gauges, cowl, and handle bars being the only things damaged, but part of me is curious about putting it back together and getting it running again.

I loved the bike, but I need to be reasonable with my finances.

Any advice or tips? I believe that the F3 motor is the same, and are more plentiful, but I have no idea about the gauges. If the amount of money I put back into the hornet is the same as I'd get selling it, then there isn't much point in it.
dreygata is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
slippy

Default Re: Killed my Hornet :(

If it were me I wouldn't bother fixing or parting out. You say most of the other components are fine...but what else is left? No one really wants 599 wheels or a swingarm from what I've seen.

Stock gauges are damn near impossible to come across so even if you found them by the time you replaced everything else you'd be in for a ton of time and a decent amount of cash. These bikes are cheap. You can easily find a new (to you) one for under $3k.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
599-er

Would you purchase another 599?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
dreygata

My issue is that I've been offered around $200 for the bike as is (granted, by a shop, not individual). That option will always be available to me, but I figured parting out the still good tires, and the F3 cross compatible parts and headlight would net me close to that if not more. This forum will likely be my best market, but I know I'm not expecting much.
Forks are fine, fender is fine, rear plastics aren't bad (Shad rack acted as a crash guard), headlight, brakes, radiator, carbs, are fine.
The cheapness of a completed bike and the general lack of popularity is what's annoying me I guess. I'm a realist, but it's one of those things where you want to fight that reality, especially when I've never parted anything out before.

Not sure if I'd purchase another 599. I like the bike, but it may be time for me to move on to something else as I was already pretty advanced on it, able to go lower than most of the other riders I've been around. I've consider an SV650 or FZ-07, MAYBE the liter equivalents.
dreygata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
mlove

My understanding is that the F3 engine uses different carbs. So if you swapped the engine, I don't know if it would run properly.
mlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #6
599-er

Of course, if you part out the parts yourself you will probably get more than $200. But it might take a year to sell it all.

Go ahead a start a for sale thread and see what interest you get.