Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > Honda 919 Resource Center > Honda 919 General Discussion

Honda 919 General Discussion Honda 919 General Discussion Topics.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
druegeme

Default finally got myself a 919

last year in spring, I made the 'sensible' choice and bought an SV650... more beginner friendly they say. 12k miles later, I couldn't stop thinking about the niner. A 06 model in candy red..

and yesterday this thing popped up on Craigslist.. '06 919 with 14k miles, candy red, no dings, guy asked 3800. Mostly stock, as far as I can tell, other than renthal bars, frame sliders, fender eliminator and windscreen.

I looked at it, it's been neglected, chain hangs down 4 inches, clutch cable squeaks etc, owners manual and tookit missing.. but the engine runs smooth and no valve chatter or cam chain noise. The guy said he bought it a year ago but never rode it.

So I talked him down to 3600, and on 6/16 I bought a 919!

I think I'm cleaning up and adjusting the chain today, then take it for a spin. Later, all fluids, new pads, grease throttle and clutch lines..

druegeme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
blackknife

Thumbs up Re: finally got myself a 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by druegeme View Post
last year in spring, I made the 'sensible' choice and bought an SV650... more beginner friendly they say. 12k miles later, I couldn't stop thinking about the niner. A 06 model in candy red..

and yesterday this thing popped up on Craigslist.. '06 919 with 14k miles, candy red, no dings, guy asked 3800. Mostly stock, as far as I can tell, other than renthal bars, frame sliders, fender eliminator and windscreen.

I looked at it, it's been neglected, chain hangs down 4 inches, clutch cable squeaks etc, owners manual and tookit missing.. but the engine runs smooth and no valve chatter or cam chain noise. The guy said he bought it a year ago but never rode it.

So I talked him down to 3600, and on 6/16 I bought a 919!

I think I'm cleaning up and adjusting the chain today, then take it for a spin. Later, all fluids, new pads, grease throttle and clutch lines..

Very nice 919, congrats! I have the same bike, same color, and I love it. Just a suggestion, it appears that the frame sliders are mounted on the engine. If so, and the bike goes down, it will be very costly! Most companies tell you to mount them there, but they belong going through the frame, and not the heads!
When I did mine, I went to Home Depot and bought a length of ⅜ non-threaded rod, drilled out the opening in the frame (you will find behind the small black plastic caps, that may or may not still be there) to accept the rod. I measured the length I would need, cut it to length, then threaded about an inch on the ends. Installed my sliders. You can use threaded rod as well, but non-threaded will come out easier should the bike ever go down and they get bent. I also installed some T-Rex cover guards and a SW Motech center stand I found on eBay, real nice stuff.
If yours are in fact mounted through the frame, and my eyes deceive me, ignore everything I just said!
Good luck with your new to you 919, you're gonna love it!

If I can help with anything, just shoot me a PM, I've done lots of mods to mine, and learned quite a bit in the short time I've had it. I installed the Renthal medium street bars as well. Much better than the OEM bars. I also just installed a set of Mivv X-Cone exhaust cans, loving them! (link to video on the bottom)

with baffles (or DB Killers as Mivv calls them)https://youtu.be/lBvznqnoo2E
without baffles https://youtu.be/_gVIoYPLiG8
blackknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
druegeme

Default Re: finally got myself a 919

Hi, thanks so much for your reply.

You are right about the sliders, they are just screwed on to the sides. I'll have to look into that.. a threaded rod seems like a good idea as I don't have the tools to cut a thread into a smooth rod. But would the rod really be enough to protect the heads? But better than nothing for sure.

Center stand.. yes definitely I want one. Been missing that as I like to 'hang out' on my bike sometimes when I find a nice spot, also chain service, rear tire etc especially in absence of threads for spools. The motech seems to be around 250 bucks, or ebay 200 with 50 shipping from Germany.. will keep my eyes open. Actually I'll be in Germany for a couple of weeks so maybe I just get one there. But I have the California version so will have to get rid of that evap thing.. heck I guess I won't miss it!

Anyway, after cleaning, lubing and tighening the chain and greasing and adjusting clutch cable, I put some air in the tires, set max preload front and back, and took it for a spin.. after half hour I called home and said I'll be gone for a while :-)

Two hours later.. oh man I just love everything about this bike. It just fits me. This is everything a motorbike should be -in my opinion as a child of the 80s and 90's! So awesome. Just Woosh!

Only thing that slightly bothers me is the suspension. It feels like the back is bottoming out quite often- or do I just mean it? I screwed the damping all the way in then took it out half turn. I guess that's as good as it gets, unless my shock is shot..

Last edited by druegeme; 06-17-2017 at 03:10 PM.
druegeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
blackknife

Default Re: finally got myself a 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by druegeme View Post
Hi, thanks so much for your reply.

You are right about the sliders, they are just screwed on to the sides. I'll have to look into that.. a threaded rod seems like a good idea as I don't have the tools to cut a thread into a smooth rod. But would the rod really be enough to protect the heads? But better than nothing for sure.

Center stand.. yes definitely I want one. Been missing that as I like to 'hang out' on my bike sometimes when I find a nice spot, also chain service, rear tire etc especially in absence of threads for spools. The motech seems to be around 250 bucks, or ebay 200 with 50 shipping from Germany.. will keep my eyes open. Actually I'll be in Germany for a couple of weeks so maybe I just get one there. But I have the California version so will have to get rid of that evap thing.. heck I guess I won't miss it!

Anyway, after cleaning, lubing and tighening the chain and greasing and adjusting clutch cable, I put some air in the tires, set max preload front and back, and took it for a spin.. after half hour I called home and said I'll be gone for a while :-)

Two hours later.. oh man I just love everything about this bike. It just fits me. This is everything a motorbike should be -in my opinion as a child of the 80s and 90's! So awesome. Just Woosh!

Only thing that slightly bothers me is the suspension. It feels like the back is bottoming out quite often- or do I just mean it? I screwed the damping all the way in then took it out half turn. I guess that's as good as it gets, unless my shock is shot..
The rod going through the frame is the way to go to mount the frame sliders. They will protect the bike better than where they are now on your bike. If you're not going to move them for a while, I would take them right off for now if I were you, the last thing you want to do is snap/break an engine case! All you need is a tap & die set to thread the ends of the rod (you could probably borrow the die & handle from AutoZone) the thread size is ⅜-16 course. I used matching nylon locking nuts & washers on the ends to mount the slider cores, but even a threaded rod is way better than the way it's mounted now IMHO. The smooth rod will come out easier if the bike ever goes down, and bends a slider. They are strong with the rod, I could use them as forward foot pegs! My slider pucks have a little allan head set screw. I loosen it, and then I can unscrew the puck to expose the slider core, and nut. I admit it felt kind of weird drilling holes the rest of the way through the frame for the rod, but it had to be done!
Hope that helps.

The suspension is the weak point on a 919 and what most riders complain about. I don't really mind it, but lots of people buy an Ohlins HO201 to replace the mono-shock, but they are pretty expensive. I'd probably have one if they weren't so much money. Sometimes you can find a used one for around 600 bucks give or take. There's lots of info on them on the WristTwisters naked bikes forum, and you may be able to find a used center stand there on the classifieds page. They come up once in a while, but sell pretty quickly. You may also want to look up the PAIR block off plates if you're considering getting rid of the evap stuff. Revzilla sells them, I got mine on eBay. I also had a Sargent seat done to make mine a bit more comfortable. They're around 350 bucks, and you have to send them a seat.

blackknife is offline   Reply With Quote