Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Super Sneaky Steve's Repair and Maintenance Video Corner

Super Sneaky Steve's Repair and Maintenance Video Corner A constantly growing collection of Super Sneaky Steve's repair and maintenance videos.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Super Sneaky Steve

Default Grips, internal bar end and throttle tube removal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUdthc1r9C4

Take note that if I only needed to take the weights out that I wouldn't need to remove the right side grip. The left side doesn't need to come off either if you curl it back enough but it's much easier to just take it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w3-vI6rPHc

Ok, If you watch this one you'll notice that I don't get it off. I left it in the video because I wanted to show that sometimes things go wrong. Just walk away from it then come back at the problem with a fresh mind.

What I did wrong was I left the starter button swtich pluged in. Simply pull out the connectors and it gives just enough slack to pull off the tube without having to disconnect the throttle wires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKGl6yuALq4

The next day I noticed that my grips weren't solid, so I took them off and used some more cleaner to get them "squeeky" clean. I then installed them dry. To put them on dry just smack the end of the grip cupping the hole. Now my grips are super tight.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
mechanic77

Send a message via AIM to mechanic77

grip sticky is on them from the factory and is highly recommended but awesome vid dude love it on the dirtbike track I ran they would grab them and try to turn them and if it didnt have sticky they could make them move it was hard to do but they could do it and they wouldnt let you run butv you are right if it is clean they will be on damn tight still dish washing detergent leaves a film
Old 02-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
Super Sneaky Steve

The second time I went to put the grips on I scraped that brown crap off with a razor. It comes off pretty easy and they stuck better afterward.

Here's another tip I just thought of. If you're going to throw away your old grips you can cut them off with a razor. It might be a little quicker/easier but I don't like to destroy anything.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
mechanic77

Send a message via AIM to mechanic77

that brown crap is the old grip glue all that has to come off.. the throttle tube should be all perfectly white when its clean and the left bar should be shiny chrome
Old 09-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
MotoGPFan26

so when you install new grips you don't have to put anything on the bars/throttle plastic to make sure the grips stick?

I know we use hairspray when changing grips on mountain bikes to make sure they stick very well.

All you have to do for the motorcycle grip change is just slide them on dry??????????

I need to know since I'm about to put on a suburban bar and new grips.
MotoGPFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
Super Sneaky Steve

I think they stick best just as clean rubber on clean metal. Mine are unmoveable. Just be sure to get them really clean, because even if you do use hairspray it won't hold if there is still some WD40 on there.

They are easy to put on dry too, just line it up and whack it with your hand.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #7
jmd

Mine didn't go on tight. I went down to the dealer and bought a $2 bottle of grip glue. You might be fine just sliding them back on, but i wouldn't. The $2 was worth it for peace of mind, imo.
'06 Nissan Xterra
jmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
rndthought

Also seen people take them Off and put them on using an air compressor to force air between the bar and grip...never done it myself though...
Old 10-29-2007, 01:55 AM   #9
LeatherWings

AH! my throttle grip has come loose! I was tryin to give my bike some gas, but all I ended up with was continuous wrist twisting!

My bike has the Rizoma billet grips installed (by previous owner), and it would appear that whatever adhesive that was used to hold it in place is now losing its grip... on the grip. I'm gonna take it apart tomorrow and have a look. I'm thinking because these grips are billet, I'm gonna have to use some type of adhesive to keep it in place. I'm sure it won't be hard to figure out, but anyone know how you're supposed to secure these grips?

BARBARIANS AT THE GATE
batgband.com
facebook.com/batgband
LeatherWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
Super Sneaky Steve

The rizomas are a little different than standard grips. The throttle cable is directly connected to the right grip. Normally there is a seperate tube.

I'm guessing it was only left grip that spun.

You can get some grip glue at any motorcycle place, but I just go bare metal and rubber. As long as it's clean it won't rotate.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:20 PM   #11
LeatherWings

It is my right grip (throttle) that is spinning. I took the grip off and the Rizoma actually does have a separate tube. But judging from what you're sayin about the Rizomas, I'm guessing that from the factory, the plastic tube normally comes pre-glued to the aluminum grip. So apparently the glue (or whatever adhesive) that kept the grip attached to the tube has failed.

Any ideas as to what kind of glue I should use to secure my throttle grip to the tube? Will regular super glue work? (i have some gel glue that says it can be used for metal and plastic) Or should I get "grip" glue? Keep in mind that this is an aluminum grip that will be glued/stuck to the plastic tube.

You can see in this pic; the remnance of an adhesive:

You can also see where the plastic tube was adhered to the inside of the aluminum throttle grip:

Another look at the stock photo:

BARBARIANS AT THE GATE
batgband.com
facebook.com/batgband
Old 10-30-2007, 03:44 PM   #12
02KBGT

Those are the grips I'm using..But I dont remember them being Glued on..lol IIRC the inner plastic tube and the grip are one piece? and they attach to the Throttle housing with a gear, which the cable is in... So I think the housing is the only thing that stays stationary with those.. And the grip/Plastice tube float on the bar...But like I said..I dont remember exactly, its been a while since I put them on..
02KBGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
G00se

Send a message via MSN to G00se

I dunno how many bars i've went through on dirt bikes.

But I've always used grip glue. My friends dad is a Honda motorcycle mechanic and he walked me through on it and the key is to get old glue off the bar on the left and the tube on the right and the grips.

I've never ran without grip glue

Once you have all the old glue removed you don't need much grip glue at all but you place a small amount on the inside of the grips. Slide them back on the bar/tube and then let them set overnight, just to be safe don't go ride after just putting glue on your grips.

LeatherWings
Grip glue is meant for rubber so you might want to contact rizomas and see what they recommend i wouldn't image thats supposed to happen with that particular design.

Oh and another thing to check when you're done fiddling with the controls make sure all the controls work from full lock to full lock. Make sure nothing feels like its binding before you go on a ride.
G00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:35 PM   #14
ukkev

If you do go the glue route I'd recommend some kind of epoxy resin, you know the stuff that comes in two tubes... an adhesive and a hardener. This type of glue can take a while to harden, but boy it's tough.
Also I'd imagine you'd want to glue the pieces together off the bike, rather than risk fixing the grips to the handlebars permanently!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:58 PM   #15
Super Sneaky Steve

I think Jaw and I were right. It looks like they came appart where they weren't supposed to. In other words, they got broke.

Plastic on metal won't adhear without glue.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:15 PM   #16
LeatherWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve
I think Jaw and I were right. It looks like they came appart where they weren't supposed to. In other words, they got broke.

Plastic on metal won't adhear without glue.
I think you guys might have misunderstood what I was saying. I have figured that when you buy them new, there's no gluing to do: the right grip and throttle tube comes out of the box together as one piece. So the aluminum billet grip for the right side does have a throttle tube; they are just two separate pieces that have been pre-glued by the manufacturer.

Regardless, I'm gonna hafta to re-adhere the plastic to the aluminum billet. But this seems like a pretty easy fix tho. Thanks for the help guys!

BARBARIANS AT THE GATE
batgband.com
facebook.com/batgband