Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Super Sneaky Steve's Repair and Maintenance Video Corner

Super Sneaky Steve's Repair and Maintenance Video Corner A constantly growing collection of Super Sneaky Steve's repair and maintenance videos.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #21
Sundog

Default Re: How to adjust your chain

I believe you are right... rotating the nut clockwise from the perspective of looking at the bike from the back should pull the axle back and tighten the chain.

Do not take the manual as the word of god on these things, use it more like a suggestion for how to work on the bike (with the exception of things like torque values). I find things that the manual gets wrong all the time. It's especially bad about the steps to take parts off the bike - for example, I found that to remove my coolant reservoir, the manual recommended that I basically take the whole back half of the bike apart. In reality, I only had to take the seat cowl off and loosen various bolts.
Sundog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #22
Artric

In the first post it says that the bike should be on the side stand... that doesn't seem to make sense to me. I bought a rear stand for doing this and lubing the chain...
Artric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #23
Iowa599
Previously: xci.ed6

I was always taught to adjust the chain while sitting on it, obviously this takes more than one person. I get a similar sized friend to sit on it, I don't trust him to turn the wrenches.

The reasoning is that suspension sag effect's adjustment.
83 CB550/650 Nighthawk -the beast
81 GL1100 Goldwing -sorta cafe
75 CB360 -real cafe

00 Accord 4 DR V6 -riding low (& slow) homie
youtube- Iowa599 & krustindumm
Iowa599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #24
Sundog

I think the 1.2 to 1.6 in. measurement takes into account the fact that you wouldn't be sitting on the bike when you measure the chain slack. Just a guess, though.

The actual adjustment is easier done with the wheel off the ground, but the measurement of slack should always be done with the wheel on the ground. This means you have to go back and forth a few times to get it right with trial and error.
Sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #25
carlitos_92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artric View Post
In the first post it says that the bike should be on the side stand... that doesn't seem to make sense to me. I bought a rear stand for doing this and lubing the chain...
Actually, it says that in the manual too, judging by the picture delaverp posted...
Old 02-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #26
michael_mus

Steve [and all]

I know I'm digging up an old one here - But I have a judgement call situation that I'd like some feedback on.

I've noticed that my 599 isn't riding quite as beautifully as it did the day after the first service I put it through [including chain adjustment] and I think the chain needs tightening again.

The indicator on the swingarm says virtually _any_ tightening will put it into the "replacement" zone.

How much trust should I put into the swingarm indicator and for how long?

Just a sidenote: I'm doing tires in late March and would rather knock out tires and sprocket and chain in one shot at that time.

Los Angeles, CA
michael_mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #27
JBarx

For what its worth I'm at the same exact point, and I'm just going ahead and replacing my chain and drive sprockets. It's gotta get done at some point anyway.
Spring Swarm 2010 Survivor
Fall Swarm 2010 Survivor
Spring Swarm 2011 Survivor
Fall Swarm 2011 Survivor
Spring Swarm 2012 Survivor
"I'm aboot to boost a noot in you moote!"
JBarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #28
michael_mus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarx View Post
For what its worth I'm at the same exact point, and I'm just going ahead and replacing my chain and drive sprockets. It's gotta get done at some point anyway.
Are you going with a stock sprocket and chain?

Los Angeles, CA
Old 02-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #29
JBarx

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_mus View Post
Are you going with a stock sprocket and chain?
No, I'm going with an RK set. Stock gearing, though. And steel.

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/3105...t---honda.html
Spring Swarm 2010 Survivor
Fall Swarm 2010 Survivor
Spring Swarm 2011 Survivor
Fall Swarm 2011 Survivor
Spring Swarm 2012 Survivor
"I'm aboot to boost a noot in you moote!"
JBarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #30
michael_mus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarx View Post
No, I'm going with an RK set. Stock gearing, though. And steel.

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/3105...t---honda.html
Nice. That's reasonable!

Los Angeles, CA
Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #31
troyohchatter

I am not real hard on a motorcycle, but I do ride. Anyway, when I first got my 599, I rode it 200 miles and then adjusted the chain to the LOOSE side. After making this initial adjustment, I have kept a good eye on it. When I push the bike out of the garage, if I can hear the chain, I know it's time for a clean and lube. I also check the chain's tension at this time.

The bike has 23,000 miles on it and I have yet to adjust the chain since 200 miles. I must be doing something right. With that, I want to tell all exactly what the tension on the chain is.

Put the bike in neutral and place the bike on sidestand. If you look at the swingarm, you will notice the black "guide/guard" for the chain on the bottom. Push the chain up towards the very end of this guard. You should be able to touch the chain to the most aft area of the guard and almost touch the swingarm with the chain. Almost, like perhaps one finger's width from the metal part of the arm, but not touch it. Again, mine's been this way for 23K, through numerous clean/lubes and two tires. At this pace I wonder if I'll ever wear out a sprocket or chain.
troyohchatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #32
somwone

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyohchatter View Post
I am not real hard on a motorcycle, but I do ride. Anyway, when I first got my 599, I rode it 200 miles and then adjusted the chain to the LOOSE side. After making this initial adjustment, I have kept a good eye on it. When I push the bike out of the garage, if I can hear the chain, I know it's time for a clean and lube. I also check the chain's tension at this time.

The bike has 23,000 miles on it and I have yet to adjust the chain since 200 miles. I must be doing something right. With that, I want to tell all exactly what the tension on the chain is.

Put the bike in neutral and place the bike on sidestand. If you look at the swingarm, you will notice the black "guide/guard" for the chain on the bottom. Push the chain up towards the very end of this guard. You should be able to touch the chain to the most aft area of the guard and almost touch the swingarm with the chain. Almost, like perhaps one finger's width from the metal part of the arm, but not touch it. Again, mine's been this way for 23K, through numerous clean/lubes and two tires. At this pace I wonder if I'll ever wear out a sprocket or chain.
wow, really o.O?

and i thought gettin 20k miles out of my stock chain before i replaced it was good...

"Find what you love and let it kill you."
― Charles Bukowski
somwone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #33
troyohchatter

There may be more to it than just the chain maintenance and adjustment. I have always been very smooth with the drivetrain on all of my vehicles, smooth throttle control puts less stress on the drivetrain. I don't ride slow, but I do ride smooth.

Not to ramble too much, or completely hijack the thread, but Jackie Stewart, famous race car driver, had an exercise where he mounted a cone shaped bowl like contraption on the hood and put a ball in it. The bowl had straight sides so that, in theory, one could corner at max g's and the ball would stay inside the bowl. The goal was to drive as fast as one could without the ball coming out of the bowl. If one entered a corner and was not smooth with the steering, the ball would fly out. Stewart could drive at racing speed and the ball would stay in the cone. While I have never had the pleasure, I always try to envision the device on my hood or handlebars and keep the ball in the bowl.

Anytime you feel the drivetrain snatched, there is a metal drivetrain component that is put under stress. Rolling on and off the throttle, if not smooth, "snatches" the chain. Now, once power is applied to the chain, you can gently roll on full throttle. Executing smooth speed shifts can keep the chain at tension between shifts. But of one is deliberate with their shifts, rolling power off, then grabbing the next gear, and then quickly applying power again, the chain is put through a bit of abuse. Not to be arrogant, but my chain doesn't see that type of abuse at all.

She does see full power on many occasions though...
troyohchatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:28 AM   #34
panagiotis

as i found out today DONT adjust the chain while on (paddoc)stands or on sidestand!
bike needs to be in gear AND you need to be sitting on it!!

i did as the manual said.. ie. neutral and sidestand and overtightened it! and now theres a bad sound from the front sprocket need to go out at lunch and loosen before i ride home and do more damage!
panagiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #35
carlitos_92

Quote:
Originally Posted by panagiotis View Post
as i found out today DONT adjust the chain while on (paddoc)stands or on sidestand!
bike needs to be in gear AND you need to be sitting on it!!
Dear Panagiotis,

You're wrong.

Love,
Honda.

Seriously, the manual says to put it on its sidestand, and doesn't say to be sitting on it. You've found another, probably unrelated way to screw the proverbial pooch, my friend.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #36
DraftsmanTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthoky View Post
Hey, just the video I wanted! How'd ya know, Steve!?

x2
Old 03-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #37
skrogg

Send a message via MSN to skrogg

I adjusted mine a few days ago and I'm on the the line of the first green box on the swing arm. Ive got 12k miles on the bike.. are you sure you guys aren't replacing before its time? FWIW I did it on the kick stand in neutral and I have the preload on the last notch.
skrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:54 AM   #38
panagiotis

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitos_92 View Post
Dear Panagiotis,

You're wrong.

Love,
Honda.

Seriously, the manual says to put it on its sidestand, and doesn't say to be sitting on it. You've found another, probably unrelated way to screw the proverbial pooch, my friend.
Dear Honda..

I followed Mr Haynes instructions and ended up with a overtightened chain.

So Mr Haynes thats wrong

Love P
panagiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:44 AM   #39
370steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by panagiotis View Post
Dear Honda..

I followed Mr Haynes instructions and ended up with a overtightened chain.

So Mr Haynes thats wrong

Love P
(said in oriental voice) Mr Pan San, you no take notice of Mr Haynes! wo you do is
listen to us, we make fcukin bike,
We big factory, we trump Him Mr Haynes

Goodday.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:33 AM   #40
Creakinbones

Pan San,

Haynes is a noob. I kicked his ass for you.

Lots of love,

Soichiro.

Last edited by Creakinbones; 03-09-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Creakinbones is offline   Reply With Quote