Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Pictures

Pictures A place to share pictures of your toys and riding trips.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
sfive99

Default Finished Product? 2006 'Esmeralda'

I think so - there really isn't anything else I can think of that I want to do. I think she's done. Maybe I can finally concentrate on riding her now, though I've found that I get immense satisfaction from working on bikes... maybe even more so than riding them. It's a little sick.

Here's a list of mods:

Suspension:
-Racetech .95 springs/15 weight oil
-Ohlins HO155 rear shock

Performance:
-K&N air filter
-Dynojet stage 1 jet kit
-Mivv X-Cone exhaust

Drive train:
-Sunstar 14T front sprocket
-Vortex 45T rear sprocket
-Healtech speedo healer

Protection:
-Jaybee's fork sliders
-FE front fender extension
-Offbrand crash bars
-Puig rear hugger

Controls:
-Renthal road low handlebars
-Progrip grips
-Speedmetal bar ends
-Offbrand folding levers
-Aprilia Tuono mirrors

Maintenance:
-SW Motech center stand
-HiFlo reusable oil filter
-Magnetic oil drain plug
-Honda 04/06 CB600F factory manual

Misc Aethetics:
-Cut rear fender

I definitely spent a TON of time on this site reading and pulling the vast amounts of knowledge from everyone here. I really appreciate those who've contributed - this project could've been so much more difficult. Thanks for all of the help!

Last edited by sfive99; 08-03-2017 at 11:37 AM.
sfive99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
sfive99

Default Re: Finished Product? 2006 'Esmeralda'

Some outside pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (61.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (58.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
sfive99

more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (66.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (59.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (58.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (60.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 08-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
sfive99

I lied!

I just realized a DID gold chain would look pretty good... maybe in the next couple months
Old 08-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
370steve

Nice build mate, very well put together
Old 08-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #6
sfive99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370steve View Post
Nice build mate, very well put together
Hey, thanks 370steve!

Honestly, you've probably got the most input into how I've gone about working on her. From the suspension, to the carbs, to the gearing... I can pinpoint specific areas where I'd relied on specifically your advice/knowledge from this and other forums.

I've also been looking for an older bike to start a new project on, inspired by your retro build. Pretty cool considering you're thousands of miles away, and some of your posts are from years ago.

So, thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #7
mlove

Looking clean!!!
mlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:47 AM   #8
Joelittel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfive99 View Post
I think so - there really isn't anything else I can think of that I want to do. I think she's done. Maybe I can finally concentrate on riding her now, though I've found that I get immense satisfaction from working on bikes... maybe even more so than riding them. It's a little sick.

Here's a list of mods:

Suspension:
-Racetech .95 springs/15 weight oil
-Ohlins HO155 rear shock

Performance:
-K&N air filter
-Dynojet stage 1 jet kit
-Mivv X-Cone exhaust

Drive train:
-Sunstar 14T front sprocket
-Vortex 45T rear sprocket
-Healtech speedo healer

Protection:
-Jaybee's fork sliders
-FE front fender extension
-Offbrand crash bars
-Puig rear hugger

Controls:
-Renthal road low handlebars
-Progrip grips
-Speedmetal bar ends
-Offbrand folding levers
-Aprilia Tuono mirrors

Maintenance:
-SW Motech center stand
-HiFlo reusable oil filter
-Magnetic oil drain plug
-Honda 04/06 CB600F factory manual

Misc Aethetics:
-Cut rear fender

I definitely spent a TON of time on this site reading and pulling the vast amounts of knowledge from everyone here. I really appreciate those who've contributed - this project could've been so much more difficult. Thanks for all of the help!

Do you notice a difference with the racetech springs? And if you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh?

Was the dynojet easy to install? Meaning we're there any unforeseen problems that slowed progress on the installation or was it a straightforward process?

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joelittel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
sfive99

Joe - the Racetech springs are definitely an improvement over stock, though by how much I don't believe I'm very qualified to say. The bike dives much less, feels much better when quick stopping. Going over sharp bumps is better, it feels like the springs are absorbing the shock much more efficiently. I said I used 15w oil, but just checked and I actually used 10w oil.

I'm 210lbs w/out gear, probably 220ish w/. I believe the center stand and crash bars add weight to the bike, but the Mivv muffler replacement might make up for that.

The Dynojet kit was much less of a project than I thought it would be; I've not ever been in carbs before - took about 5 hours total. I didn't take the carbs completely off the bike, though, so that definitely helped. I also did not sync the carbs, they seem to be running fine. I used Dynojet's recommendations w/ the kit, but would like to change that to richen the mixture in the future - right now I'm running w/ the mixture screws at 3.25 turns out, which I don't believe is ideal. Overall, the bike seems to run/start better so I'm happy with it for now.

If I do them again, I want to put labels on the hoses and their respective connections, but I really didn't have a problem with that either. I read after the fact that 370Steve recommended putting some grease on the part of the carb that mates with the engine for easier removal. I'll do that next time as well.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:08 PM   #10
Joelittel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfive99 View Post
Joe - the Racetech springs are definitely an improvement over stock, though by how much I don't believe I'm very qualified to say. The bike dives much less, feels much better when quick stopping. Going over sharp bumps is better, it feels like the springs are absorbing the shock much more efficiently. I said I used 15w oil, but just checked and I actually used 10w oil.

I'm 210lbs w/out gear, probably 220ish w/. I believe the center stand and crash bars add weight to the bike, but the Mivv muffler replacement might make up for that.

The Dynojet kit was much less of a project than I thought it would be; I've not ever been in carbs before - took about 5 hours total. I didn't take the carbs completely off the bike, though, so that definitely helped. I also did not sync the carbs, they seem to be running fine. I used Dynojet's recommendations w/ the kit, but would like to change that to richen the mixture in the future - right now I'm running w/ the mixture screws at 3.25 turns out, which I don't believe is ideal. Overall, the bike seems to run/start better so I'm happy with it for now.

If I do them again, I want to put labels on the hoses and their respective connections, but I really didn't have a problem with that either. I read after the fact that 370Steve recommended putting some grease on the part of the carb that mates with the engine for easier removal. I'll do that next time as well.

Thanks for the info. These are both mods I'd like to tackle but I've just started gathering info.

Can you recommend any good reading on either topic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #11
sfive99

Honestly, Joe, most of my reading has been on this forum, mainly from 370Steve... some from the UK Hornet site.

Are you looking to understand how these mods work? Or, do you just want to install them? How much do you weigh? What kind of riding do you do? Do you still have the stock air filter/muffler?

I've got an extra set of carbs. I'll probably take pictures of it at some point to show everyone just what needs to get done to it to install the jet kit. It's really, very easy to install. The hard part is getting the carbs loose enough to work on them - you've got to remove the tank, then the airbox, then disconnect some cables. I'm lucky my carbs were clean/synced, otherwise the job would've been much tougher.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #12
Joelittel

I'm a daily commuter with a new found love of the track. I'm looking to have a little fun modifying my bike, but want those mods to improve the handling/performance.

Depending on what I read I may or may not try and tackle the build myself.

I've got a K&N air filter and a Delkevic sip-on. Also reading as much as I can about dynojet kits, but my bike seems to run fine as is. Haven't pulled the plugs to confirm but nothing has lead me to believe I have an issue.

Weighing in at 170lbs.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:16 PM   #13
sfive99

http://www.hondahornet.org.uk/messag...p?f=62&t=30767

Joe, the above link is a how-to for the forks. This is an incredibly easy mod, just requires a spring compressor tool, and you need to have the front wheel off the ground. I think I could change the springs/oil in 30 mins now.

I actually have a set of .85kg/mm Racetech springs that I'm not using. If you want them (I believe they're recommended for your weight/track use), they'd be $50 shipped.

Aside from getting these internals:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gabel-Cartri...EAAOSwj0NUiyax

... our 2006 forks have limited options. We can get different springs, change the oil to a different weight, and/or change the air gap (dictated by how much oil you fill the forks with). These would be adjusted as necessary for whatever riding conditions you're in.

Not sure how much you know, so sorry if I come across as patronizing. If your bike is running fine, the general consensus seems to be don't mess w/ the carbs, though I believe a K&N/slip on combo causes the bike to run lean, which is a lot worse than running rich. Our bikes reportedly come lean from the factory ("lean" btw means the air/fuel mixture is biased towards more air than fuel - "rich" is the opposite). With a K&N filter, you're increasing the air flow to the carbs. With a slip on exhaust, you're further increasing the air flow, which causes the air/fuel mixture to be even more lean. Maybe you've got a jet kit installed already?

Last edited by sfive99; 08-26-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:24 AM   #14
Joelittel

Thanks for the information, it's helpful. I know just enough to know I don't really know anything yet.

It sounds like I'll need to figure out if I'm running lean before I do any damage. I'll start by pulling the plugs to see what they can tell me.

I've got a wide band O2 sensor on my car that could easily be positioned in the exhaust on my bike.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:04 AM   #15
kenny

I must say, I hope my finished bike looks half as good as that, looks amazing.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:25 AM   #16
Joelittel

+1 your bike looks great
Old 09-03-2017, 10:10 PM   #17
sfive99

Well thanks, gents! I've put most of what I've done in posts and I'm always up for helping out if I can.

That said, I recently got the gold chain. And convinced my gf to join the (motorcycle) club! Whoop, whoop!

She can't reach the ground on the 599, otherwise I'd definitely have recommended it to her. Her 2009 Buell Blast seems like a good first bike for her; she can flat foot it, and it looks pretty cool I think. It's almost like a mini-599.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Last edited by sfive99; 09-03-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #18
SLC599er

That's pretty! (Says the guy with another 2006 with an X-Cone and Aprilia mirrors ).
SLC599er is offline   Reply With Quote