Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Super Sneaky Steve's Repair and Maintenance Video Corner

Super Sneaky Steve's Repair and Maintenance Video Corner A constantly growing collection of Super Sneaky Steve's repair and maintenance videos.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #21
DangWangi

Send a message via Yahoo to DangWangi
Default Re: Coolant Flush NEW

Anyone know where to find braided hoses like those? I can't seem to find them anywhere?
DangWangi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #22
DraftsmanTX

I saw a brand who sells them at Autozone... Autozone didn't have the right ones but the brand's website had it... can't remember the name... I think it was Spectre... they also have the end fittings it's called "Magna"

PS: Stainless Steel Braided Hose COVERS, mod just for the looks.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
Stupenal

The coolant that came out of my 04 599 was nice and brown. Coolant probably wasn't changed at any time within the past 9 years.

I filled the radiator and reservoir with new coolant, and ran the bike around the block to get the engine up to temp. The coolant had turned brown again, so I drained it and began flushing fresh water. It took about 6 flushes before the water came out clear so I filled the bike with coolant again.

This past weekend I flushed the coolant, and it was still slightly brown. Took only 2 flushes of water to get the water out nice and clear so I think I'm close to getting all the junk flushed out of the cooling system.

I'll probably flush the system again in the next month and hope it'll be the last time.

Just a reminder to everyone to make sure you periodically change your coolant to prevent this headache down the road.
Stupenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #24
DangWangi

Send a message via Yahoo to DangWangi

I was thinking the same thing. According to the Manual on page 125, they recommend using a new sealing washer/drain bolt. I suppose I'll have to order one up just in case.
DangWangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #25
ze_Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangWangi View Post
I was thinking the same thing. According to the Manual on page 125, they recommend using a new sealing washer/drain bolt. I suppose I'll have to order one up just in case.
It's just a small copper crush washer. I replaced mine too since it was only $0.10 cents or so, but I'm pretty confident you can reuse it if necessary.

FWIW I went with Honda Type 2 OEM Blue coolant. Drained, flushed once with distilled water, then drain and fill with new coolant. If you're going to the dealer, consider getting a new radiator cap too if yours is rusted. Mine was, and when I poked the inner rubber seal and it ripped apart.

Last edited by ze_Hornet; 06-15-2013 at 04:16 PM.
ze_Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #26
troyohchatter

NOTE TO PET OWNERS: I always wondered what the difference between Prestone and Honda coolant was, noting that the coolant on a motorcycle and in a car is the same, to include the Honda stuff. While they both function well, I did find the most important difference. To pets, Prestone and other generic coolants taste yummy, very sweet. But, as tested by both two very "food motivated" dogs, Honda coolant doesn't taste sweet at all and will NOT attract the tastebuds of our four legged friends. Honda doesn't promote this because of liability reasons I am sure. The product is still toxic, but it's not tasty.
troyohchatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #27
reverus

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...64-oz.?ref=sho

problem solved
reverus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #28
15levels

Guys, a question. I cannot buy Honda HP cooler, as I live in Armenia and its not possible to get this stuff shipped. So what other anti-freeze (for cars) equivalent can I use? We have a lot of this stuff for cars here but not for motorcycles. Thanks in advance.
15levels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #29
PMDMN

Any silicate free antifreeze can be substituted. Look for "silicate free" on the label. In Albania look for "Silikat pa pagesë," - or so says Google translate.
PMDMN is offline   Reply With Quote